Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Drive belt change question

Old 11-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
showandgotc has disabled reputation
Default Drive belt change question

I just replaced all 3 drive belts. The AC belt, Alternator belt, and power steering belt on my wifes 99 honda civic ex. Ive never done belts before but figured it was pretty straight forward which it seemed to be. However im kinda curious as to if i have them to tight or to loose as when i start the car I hear a squeek form a belt. and here lately its been colder in th emorning and since the car is cold when i start it it also makes a little bit of noise till its warmed up. But also the power steering belt squeals when wheel is turned all the way either direction and only during that time, not all the time. And lastly the AC belt makes a squeek when the AC button is pushed and it randomly squeeks as im driving aswell but only if i have the AC ON. I can run heat or just air without any issues but as soon as i hit the AC button it chirps and then continues to chirp randomly as im driving with the ac. All the belt are on and secure as ive been driving in now for a week, but these little annoyences would be nice to get rid of. So if someone has an idea as to wether i have them to tight or to loose let me know. THANKS
Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

forced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drive belt change question

The p/s and a/c belts are probably loose. By you're description it sounds like they are slipping when the acc. is under it's highest load. How much deflection do you have?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

showandgotc has disabled reputation

deflection? you talking about slack?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

forced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

SmokeCRX has disabled reputation

Tighten them...prob til you think they're too tight. Then forget about it. lol. My motto is "people dont complain about belts bein too tight but they damn sure do if they're loose" and I've never had one come back having caused any damage so...tighten em up.