Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

does chipping work at all?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fryeye has disabled reputation
Default does chipping work at all?

does chipping a car really work? and if so.. would it help my 2000 civic ex at all?
Old 10-15-2008, 03:58 AM
I hate soccermoms

v8Buster has disabled reputation
Default Re: does chipping work at all?

ehhh, kinda? lol...not really.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:20 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

Originally Posted by Fryeye
does chipping a car really work? and if so.. would it help my 2000 civic ex at all?
You mean chipping an ecu by itself without supporting mods?
Old 10-15-2008, 04:32 AM
Registered Member

klownh8er is on a distinguished road

ebay chip = bad for your car.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt

most chips just raise your rev limit... allowing you to destroy your motor 10x faster... but it will definitely go out with a bang @ 10k rpm!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by ChokolAwt
most chips just raise your rev limit... allowing you to destroy your motor 10x faster... but it will definitely go out with a bang @ 10k rpm!
Most engines blow up when you modify them. That's as much of a grossly inaccurate generalization as what you said.

Originally Posted by Fryeye
What you're really saying is "should I modify ECU so I can get my car tuned".

Chipping is just modifying the ECU so that an altered program can be used to run the ECU. That means that you can get your car tuned, because tuning software makes a modified stock program. A chip is just the memory that the ECU reads its program from, so saying "does chipping work" doesn't say anything actually, because its completely dependent on how well the tune is in that modified program.

Buying a chip that is already tuned for someone else's car doesn't make any sense, and you really don't know what you're getting. That is the danger in it.

So basically, you get your ECU chipped so it is able to be tuned. You don't get your ECU chipped to use something you bought off of eBay.

Oh, and OBD2 Honda ECUs, like your stock 2000 ECU, can't be modified (chipped). You need to get an adapter harness if you want to use an earlier ECU, which can then be modified.
Arguably just getting your stock single cam VTEC engine tuned with no other modifications isn't going to really net much power though, maybe a few HP and possibly increased throttle response depending on how close to the ragged edge you're looking to get.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-15-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

temp2 will become famous soon enoughtemp2 will become famous soon enough

my ecu doesnt have a rev limiter so I bought an ignition that does.

I also agree with above poster about off the shelf programs/maps, even different ecu tunes for diff quality gas in older cars can make significant power differences. The new ecu's use 3 dimensional mapping and can automatically retard the ignition timing when say...you put 87 octane in an sti or evo. That said even newer ecu's can still be tuned and make very significant gains just from that.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Most engines blow up when you modify them. That's as much of a grossly inaccurate generalization as what you said.

What you're really saying is "should I modify ECU so I can get my car tuned".

Chipping is just modifying the ECU so that an altered program can be used to run the ECU. That means that you can get your car tuned, because tuning software makes a modified stock program. A chip is just the memory that the ECU reads its program from, so saying "does chipping work" doesn't say anything actually, because its completely dependent on how well the tune is in that modified program.

Buying a chip that is already tuned for someone else's car doesn't make any sense, and you really don't know what you're getting. That is the danger in it.

So basically, you get your ECU chipped so it is able to be tuned. You don't get your ECU chipped to use something you bought off of eBay.

Oh, and OBD2 Honda ECUs, like your stock 2000 ECU, can't be modified (chipped). You need to get an adapter harness if you want to use an earlier ECU, which can then be modified.
Arguably just getting your stock single cam VTEC engine tuned with no other modifications isn't going to really net much power though, maybe a few HP and possibly increased throttle response depending on how close to the ragged edge you're looking to get.
+1 rep for you on good tech info. Exactly what I was going to say. However, a OBD2 ecu can be chipped but is difficult and a lot easier on a OBD1 or OBD0.

OP find a p28 manual and send it to me I'll socket it for you and then you can get a good tune. But if your car is stock or just an i/h/e you are going to see minimal gains. (I say p28 because they are easy to chip and so are p72 and p30 - just to name a few)
Old 10-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by -JB-
However, a OBD2 ecu can be chipped but is difficult and a lot easier on a OBD1 or OBD0.
I'm sticking to my previous statement, and here's why..

I know there are a few people that are selling pre-programmed microcontrollers for the 96-00 ECUs, but I don't consider that a solution to anything. Until there is an actual tunable solution out there, with software, etc., then there is nothing. The OKI microcontrollers being sold are expensive and one time programmable, which is completely useless. Until someone ports the stock Honda code over to a non-obsolete microcontroller (and if someone has, I haven't heard about it) then 96-00 Honda ECUs aren't tunable. Technically they can be chipped, but technically they can't be tuned.

Pre-programmed chips or microcontrollers aren't tuning.

You have to remember that I go way back with many of the other guys from the PGMFI forum..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-15-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

temp2 will become famous soon enoughtemp2 will become famous soon enough

^agreed

Quick Reply: does chipping work at all?