Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Does anyone have experience with B18C5?

Old 12-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnnybomber101 has disabled reputation
Default Does anyone have experience with B18C5?

I am totally new to the Honda scene. I have been working on Porsches and VWs for about 16yrs now. My current race cars are a 1987 930 and a 1967 Beetle with a 2180cc with a turbo.

However, one of my team members has a 1991 CRX and after taking some time to look at it, I really think that a car like that could be a really, really awesome race car!

After a lot of looking and digging on the internets, it looks like a B18c5 out of the JDM Integra Type R is what I am looking for. I like the fact that it comes 11.2 to 1 stock, and the cam profiles are stock what most companies sell as their "performance" upgrades for almost any other Honda engine. Also, from what I am reading about it, the B18c5 is at the top of Honda's N/A performance offering for a factory car. THAT is what I am looking to get into with a CRX, a N/A monster.

Does anyone have experience with keeping a Honda N/A and making it a performance car? It seems like everyone's solution on this site is to just slap a turbo on it and go. That is awesome if you want run of the mill performance, but these engines/chassis seem like there is just so much more to them.

My "plan" (so to speak) is to drop in the C5 with it's LSD tranny, bump the compression up to 11.5 and put a set of individual throttle bodies on it. With some quick pencil math, my assumption is in the area of 260 - 270hp that I can run on 93. It will be snappy and extremely reliable. The clean air here in VA will allow the engine to get the most out of the ITBs because I can leave off a box and just run screens.

I guess I am just looking to get input from those who have experience with the B18c5, hopefully in a CRX!

-> I pretty much do not really know anything about Hondas other than reading this site and a few other Forums. What initially made me think about the c5 was the fact that it was the engine that Lotus used in their original Elise cup car before it became known as the Exige and went into normal sales. They have since changed to the Toyota platform with a Rover head, but the original engine was a Honda Type R with ITBs. I figured if it was good enough for a cup car, it would be good enough for me!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:07 PM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout
Default Re: Does anyone have experience with B18C5?

Nope.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

gameoverr96 has disabled reputation

i think the power goal you are looking for would be fairly easy to reach with some head work and a good tune
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Originally Posted by Johnnybomber101
I am totally new to the Honda scene. I have been working on Porsches and VWs for about 16yrs now. My current race cars are a 1987 930 and a 1967 Beetle with a 2180cc with a turbo.

However, one of my team members has a 1991 CRX and after taking some time to look at it, I really think that a car like that could be a really, really awesome race car!

After a lot of looking and digging on the internets, it looks like a B18c5 out of the JDM Integra Type R is what I am looking for. I like the fact that it comes 11.2 to 1 stock, and the cam profiles are stock what most companies sell as their "performance" upgrades for almost any other Honda engine. Also, from what I am reading about it, the B18c5 is at the top of Honda's N/A performance offering for a factory car. THAT is what I am looking to get into with a CRX, a N/A monster.

Does anyone have experience with keeping a Honda N/A and making it a performance car? It seems like everyone's solution on this site is to just slap a turbo on it and go. That is awesome if you want run of the mill performance, but these engines/chassis seem like there is just so much more to them.

My "plan" (so to speak) is to drop in the C5 with it's LSD tranny, bump the compression up to 11.5 and put a set of individual throttle bodies on it. With some quick pencil math, my assumption is in the area of 260 - 270hp that I can run on 93. It will be snappy and extremely reliable. The clean air here in VA will allow the engine to get the most out of the ITBs because I can leave off a box and just run screens.

I guess I am just looking to get input from those who have experience with the B18c5, hopefully in a CRX!

-> I pretty much do not really know anything about Hondas other than reading this site and a few other Forums. What initially made me think about the c5 was the fact that it was the engine that Lotus used in their original Elise cup car before it became known as the Exige and went into normal sales. They have since changed to the Toyota platform with a Rover head, but the original engine was a Honda Type R with ITBs. I figured if it was good enough for a cup car, it would be good enough for me!
Welcome to VAD

I am sure that some of the more knowledgeable Honda guys will chime in, but most of the hondurr kids here are tards.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:03 PM
supermoto or bust

Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones

With your plan, I would go with the K24 block and K20 head then work from there. You would make your power goal A LOT easier to get.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov

Originally Posted by VADerping
With your plan, I would go with the K24 block and K20 head then work from there. You would make your power goal A LOT easier to get.
This. Granted a type-r is a good b-series, the k24 with k20 head is better. You have more displacement to work with.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:22 AM
Registered Member

TRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these parts

It all depends upon his budget, granted with him talking about the B18C5/JDM B18C it sounds like he has some money to spend. This motor is very stout in stock form. There are two versions of this motor, the 96-97 and the 98-01 year motors. The older one has 264 degree cams where the newer one has 272 degree cams. Also the gear ratio's for the transmissions are a little different and the biggest difference is the final drive. In order for this motor to work in the CRX not much extra work is needed, it basically drops right in with a set of aftermarket mounts and shift linkage. I would also like to add that you WILL want to convert the car to OBD1 for tuning purposes. 260-270whp seems a little steep for the things you plan to do, with 11.5:1 CR and ITB's along with a good header/exhaust MIGHT net you 220-230whp with a good tuner, on pump gas that is. So, with that said, there isn't much of a point to change the pistons out if your only going up a little bit in compression, unless you plan to mill the head. Just be careful because honda's have a tight clearance with the piston/valves, especially this motor. The motor would be safe to do 12:1 CR on pump gas from my experience in the past. It's all about having a good tuner that knows what he is doing.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:44 AM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Your power goal is almost unobtainable without major work done to the motor but it can be done. As far as parts to do the swap you'll need

Motor/trans
ecu
Mounts
cable to hydro kit
Wiring harness
axles
Shift linkage
and I believe you'll need an aftermarket front cross member but im not 100% sure

Realistically with the itbs and a tune you would looking at 220-230whp with a solid tune (based on past setups I've seen). If you have any questions feel free to pm me
Old 01-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

TRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Gen_Crunchytoes
Your power goal is almost unobtainable without major work done to the motor but it can be done. As far as parts to do the swap you'll need

Motor/trans
ecu
Mounts
cable to hydro kit
Wiring harness
axles
Shift linkage
and I believe you'll need an aftermarket front cross member but im not 100% sure

Realistically with the itbs and a tune you would looking at 220-230whp with a solid tune (based on past setups I've seen). If you have any questions feel free to pm me
+1

I suggest Hasport mounts and linkage, axles are from a 90-93 integra, www.rywire.com sells a plug and play harness, cable trans to hydro kit you can also find at hasport, I suggest doing the obd1 conversion and running a chipped obd1 ecu (p30/p72 just so you have a knock sensor, p28 ecu's do not have a knock board) and to run a decent header you need a new front crossmember aka traction bars, multiple companies sell these and they help out a good amount, I had one installed in by b16 swapped crx many years ago. My transmission was LSD and would help significantly.