Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

distributor on a 1972 G30 5.7 4 barrel

Old 07-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Ohhh Snap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez
Default distributor on a 1982 G30 5.0 4 barrel

My moms distributor crapped out on her work van and rather than trying to replace each part inside I would rather buy a completely new on seeing how a couple of wires and connectors are in shit condition. Im not too knowledgeable on older vehicle and upon looking online for price I see this:

This looks almost identical to her current one,note we already have a new cap and rotor so a new another is not necessarily needed.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_516426348___

But that says "with out governor" and im unaware if hers has one or not. The price difference is 100 bucks so I have a feeling its important. Im also not sure what breakerless is......

and why would this one be 230.00 when the one i listed earlier is only 40 bucks.

any help is greatly appreciated.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...rtId=prod62609

Last edited by madsteez; 07-01-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Re: distributor on a 1972 G30 5.7 4 barrel

Yay! Been a while since I've touched an iron 5.7. It seems like you simply have a vacuum advanced distributer. Normal distributers have a cap and rotor, with points all over the rotor. A 'magnetic breakerless' uses a magnet to complete the circuit to fire the plug. Its more of a performance thing (you lose about 1.5kv of spark with a point setup)

You don't need the governer, usually theres one on the coil that prevents frequency's (RPMS).

Its 40 bux because SBC shit is 711 cheap.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Ohhh Snap

madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez

well i just went ahead and changed out the point and ignition control module. it sparks now but i didnt mark the distributor when i pulled it out. I marked where the bases meet but i spun the rotor around and now i can get it to start!

is there any sort of trick that will help me get the ignition timing as close as possible. like where the distributor shaft slides into the engine is what im talking about.

honda is so much easier,you can only put it on one way.

Last edited by madsteez; 07-01-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Have you tried a timing light????
Old 07-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Originally Posted by madsteez
well i just went ahead and changed out the point and ignition control module. it sparks now but i didnt mark the distributor when i pulled it out. I marked where the bases meet but i spun the rotor around and now i can get it to start!

is there any sort of trick that will help me get the ignition timing as close as possible. like where the distributor shaft slides into the engine is what im talking about.

honda is so much easier,you can only put it on one way.
Helps if you have a hand, it should still run +/- a couple degrees. You really need a timing light to zone it in.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Ohhh Snap

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Have you tried a timing light????
dont have one.

when I pulled it out i marked the base of the distributor to the mounting location,but failed to mark the rotors position. So therefore its like installing a distributor that has never been in the van before. So for all i know the motors tdc could be on cylinder 3 while the distributor's tdc is at cylinder 7 etc etc.

All thats needed is to set the motor to tdc,then install the distributor with it at tdc.

if anyone has a decent amount of experience and can some set the distributor in its place pm me your availability and price.

I also just realized i type 72 when its a 82.

Last edited by madsteez; 07-01-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:40 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

pull number 1 spark plug out...if your standing in front of the van its the one on the drivers front...after the plugs out have someone bump it over as you hold your thumb over the plug hole....you will feel compression and it will blow your thumb off the hole...

then you should be able to look at the crank dampener and see the timing marks in relation to the timing tab on the timing chain cover...

remove dist cap and make sure the rotor button is pointing at the #1 plug wire on the cap...not the plug on the motor but the wire on the cap that leads to #1

reset the dist to reflect this and its in time...you may have to set the dist in the motor and barely bump it to lock it in the oil pump shaft....

then you should have enough adjustment in the dist to advance/retard it to get it right....

and if you had a timing light it would be easier
Old 07-01-2009, 07:10 PM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

if its an 82 then it has an hei distributor. its very easy to set the distributor in and get it running. its easier to show someone than it is to try and explain it. where in vb are you located? i can do it for a small fee or just gimme some gas money and ill come show you how to do it.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Ohhh Snap

fixed. thanks to those who chimed into this thread.

Last edited by madsteez; 07-02-2009 at 03:43 PM.