Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

difficult to put transmission in gear

Old 06-19-2010, 08:29 PM
executive member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbobrick Turbobrick
Default difficult to put transmission in gear

Basically, I can't put the transmission in any gear when the car is running. It's not grinding or making any odd sounds. When the car is off, I have no problems putting it in gear. I bled the clutch again aand and there was no air in the system.

Any ideas of what would be causing this problem?
Old 06-20-2010, 04:41 AM
Registered Member

santana5star has disabled reputation
Default Re: difficult to put transmission in gear

possible clutch faluire
Old 06-20-2010, 04:44 AM
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts

Is the clutch stock or aftermarket?
Old 06-20-2010, 04:55 AM
Registered Member

santana5star has disabled reputation

sound like the clutch is threw/..... that is what happened when the springs on mine went.... lol too many dumps in boost
Old 06-20-2010, 04:56 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The gears go in the transmission, the transmission doesn't go in the gear.

Probably a clutch problem. If it was a syncro problem, you'd grind. If it was a shift linkage problem, it wouldn't work with the engine on or off, same thing with a selector fork or something like that. So it has to be something that only affects the trans when the shafts are moving obviously.

If you put it in gear with the engine off, can you then disengage the clutch (without taking it out of gear) and start the engine like that? I'm trying to wrap my head around this, but something isn't adding up right.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:00 AM
4 to go

Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary

If it feels like the shift lever is resisting your efforts to engage it into any of the gears, there are several possible causes.

Do you have a hydraulic clutch or a cable operated one? if hydraulic, you may have a leak some where in which case you simply aren't disengaging the clutch enough to engage a gear. Commonly it's a leaky master cylinder. Feel around in the foot well around the clutch pedal for moisture. Obvious signs of this problem are an empty reservoir...

If it is cable or mechanically operated, then that's not it.... So it could be that the spring 'fingers' on the pressure plate on the clutch have gone soft over time. This would cause a similar response, since you are not disengaging the clutch enough to allow for gear selection. This a slower process though and something that would get worse over time... not overnight.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:17 AM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

While we're on the topic, what would cause a cable trans to grind, downshifting from 5th to 4th but not when upshifting from 3rd to 4th?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
While we're on the topic, what would cause a cable trans to grind, downshifting from 5th to 4th but not when upshifting from 3rd to 4th?
Synchros. The relative shaft speeds are different while downshifting than upshifting, so synchro problems might not be the same going in each direction (upshifting and downshifting).
Old 06-20-2010, 07:13 AM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Synchros. The relative shaft speeds are different while downshifting than upshifting, so synchro problems might not be the same going in each direction (upshifting and downshifting).
Yeah, I figured it was the synchros but I wasn't aware of the varying speeds.

Many thanks.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:46 PM
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts

I had a friend who had the same problem. He had a vr4 with an aftermarket clutch. It wouldn't go in gear when on, but when it was off, it would go in. If you turned it on while a gear was engaged, it would jump forward. I told him to switch out his pressure plate. It worked after that. It turns out that the pressure plate had too much resistance for his hydraulic system to push the throwout bearing in.

Quick Reply: difficult to put transmission in gear