Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

delSol not start when it's hot outside

Old 07-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway
Default delSol not start when it's hot outside

I am having issues starting my del Sol. Every morning it starts fine, no issues, but once it gets REALLY hot it just turns over. (direct sunlight is worse than just heat). It cranks just fine every time, but (I know at least) looses spark but compression is fine. The only thing that seems to effect it is temperature. I drove the car every day this winter, never an issue, once. It starts getting +90, it won't reliably start, last summer same deal.

Not sure if this is related, but about 6 weeks ago, I got a CEL of injectors, and 2 weeks after that I got one for ignition timing. The CEL's came on when the car wouldn't start once it started they went way and haven't come on since. I did nothing to effect the lights.

This might be farfetched but it there any way that a wire connecting the dizzy is broken and the heat causes the plastic to expand and soften enough to have the wires short and when it's cool they are touching? Well, I obviously don't know what's wrong with the car so if you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Good advice gets +Reps!

Some details about the car:

Model: 93 delSol (black)
Motor: b20 w/ bolt-ons (185hp/145tq)
Misc: recently retuned in May on Neptune
Old 07-31-2011, 04:27 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: delSol not start when it's hot outside

Is it doing this during hot starts or cold starts or both?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:47 AM
Registered Member

lk2drft has disabled reputation

sense your saying there's no spark when it happens check to see if you have fuel when it doesn't start, if you don't have fuel replace the main relay because i had a similar no start problem with my delsol not to long ago
Old 07-31-2011, 06:19 AM
Registered Member

jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Is it doing this during hot starts or cold starts or both?
Both, but primarily hot

LK2DRIFT:
Thanks, I will look into the main relay. Do you think that I can check that with a multimeter?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:04 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by jhholloway
Both, but primarily hot

LK2DRIFT:
Thanks, I will look into the main relay. Do you think that I can check that with a multimeter?
You can check with a multimeter, yes. Relays are actually very easy to test because they're an electromechanical switch so either they work or they don't. You'll have to figure out what the relay pinout is to properly test it, but that should be easy to find with Google.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:36 AM
Registered Member

TRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these parts

More than likely the main relay like everyone says. The contacts wear out on the board side. I've known some people to re solder them and after that they work fine.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:58 AM
141.12 kHz

Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon

G2 integras have a similar issue with the MFR. Hot days they wont always start.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:44 AM
Registered Member

Today I am pulling the main relay to see if I can see any "dry sockets." I found a page showing what it'll look like and how to resolder the board. Thanks for the input, I will report back tonight with the results.

**RESULTS**

One of the sockets looked a little different, as though the solder had begun to peeled off. I resoldered it, but I wasn't sure it was fixed so I just purchased a new one to compare when the motor doesn't start next time.

No issue and it's been over 100 for 3 days. Thanks guys, it looks like y'all help solve another issue.

Last edited by jhholloway; 08-09-2011 at 11:58 AM.