Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

del sol turbo downpipe

Old 05-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
baggdymtukn20z has disabled reputation
Question del sol turbo downpipe

I am gonna boost my sol. Its got a ls swap with a ls header on it. I just need a downpipe I have everything else. There really isnt anyone locale to make one so Im gonna have to order one. Is there one specific I should order? For integra ls, del sol? thanks
Old 05-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Shoryuken!

Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95
Default Re: del sol turbo downpipe

Originally Posted by baggdymtukn20z
I am gonna boost my sol. Its got a ls swap with a ls header on it. I just need a downpipe I have everything else. There really isnt anyone locale to make one so Im gonna have to order one. Is there one specific I should order? For integra ls, del sol? thanks
Where are you located, and what turbo manifold do you have?

It's going to be very difficult to order a downpipe, as most pre-fabbed downpipes are made at the same time with its corresponding manifold. For example, if you have a Spoolin Performance log manifold, the matching downpipe is not going to fit a Spoolin Performance ramhorn manifold, due to a totally different design. Even if you order a downpipe for the same brand and type manifold that matches yours, you still have to take into account the possible slight difference in measurement, depending on the builder. It may fit one, but may not fit the other exactly the same. Not saying it's GONNA happen, but there have been instances where they don't fully match up.

My suggestion is to take the turbo & manifold off, find a shop that can bolt it to a mock up LS motor (or just the block), and fab you a downpipe. That way, you'll be certain to have perfect fitment. State your location, and someone in here can point you in the right direction of a reputable shop that can fab you up one. Good luck.

Last edited by Snoop 95; 05-06-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

baggdymtukn20z has disabled reputation

I am in Lexington, VA, and I believe the manifold I have is just an ebay tubular special. Not really sure though. I know its not the best but I have hardly no money in this setup due to trading parts so thats y its a cheapie. looks solid though
Old 05-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You'll need an eBay tubular special downpipe to match it then, or a custom piece. Seriously though, doing everything the cheapest way possible is the fastest way to destroy your engine when you turbo it.

It's easy to make a turbo manifold look solid. It's made of metal with pretty welds on it. When it cracks everywhere and you figure out the welds don't have proper penetration, or a compatible filler rod alloy, or proper thermal expansion design, or something like that, you'll wish you didn't buy a manifold made in China from eBay.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Banned

1sickmcx 1sickmcx 1sickmcx 1sickmcx 1sickmcx 1sickmcx

Get a cast manifold and you'll be happy to know it's much sturdier only downsides is it's not pretty and it isn't show quality or anything but it's stronger in every way.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Shoryuken!

Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You'll need an eBay tubular special downpipe to match it then, or a custom piece. Seriously though, doing everything the cheapest way possible is the fastest way to destroy your engine when you turbo it.

It's easy to make a turbo manifold look solid. It's made of metal with pretty welds on it. When it cracks everywhere and you figure out the welds don't have proper penetration, or a compatible filler rod alloy, or proper thermal expansion design, or something like that, you'll wish you didn't buy a manifold made in China from eBay.
Fabrik speaks truth.

I have had experiences with both the SSAC tubular mani & the OBX topmount (both which are made from very thin & weak material), and I have had issues with the header flanges cracking, and stress cracks on the wastegate flange, causing my wastegate to almost literally fall off. Marcus (Slotec) has had issues with his OBX as well, in the past.

Sometimes, reinforcing the welds & adding bracing to the flanges helps, but it's still a hit-and-miss, due to the poor material they use to make them.

Last edited by Snoop 95; 05-09-2011 at 09:32 PM.