Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Del Sol overheating

Old 04-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALR85 has disabled reputation
Default Del Sol overheating

Hey guys, I recently bought a 94 Del Sol. I noticed right away that the temp gauge didnt work on the gauge cluster. Been driving it for around a week now, and have noticed that the valve cover gets so hot you cant hold your hand on it for more than a couple seconds. The radiator is brand new and the coolant level is fine. The upper radiator hose gets hot when the car is warmed up, so coolant is circulating and the thermostat isnt closed but like i said before, the temp gauge inside the car wont read that the car is warm, and moves up only around 1/8th of the way when the car is burning hot. Any ideas on what this may be?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:43 AM
######

L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K
Default Re: Del Sol overheating

So If I am reading this correctly, you motor gets hot when it is running, and you are concerned?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

The part your not getting I guess is that it gets WAY TOO HOT, and the inside temp guage is not accounting for it. It was evaporating water off the hood yesterday, thats not normal.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Sounds like you need a new sending unit for the temp gauge, or you have a wiring problem. I'm not sure how you're assuming that it gets "way too hot" without some way to measure what the temperature is. You can't tell anything by putting your hand on top of the valve cover.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

i know its too hot because i should be able to put my hand on the valve cover without pain, and rainwater shouldnt evaporate off the hood from the heat of the engine.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:05 AM
######

L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K

Originally Posted by ALR85
i know its too hot because i should be able to put my hand on the valve cover without pain, and rainwater shouldnt evaporate off the hood from the heat of the engine.
Valve covers get hot..
Old 04-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

How many Hondas have you owned, and how have you never owned a car that evaporates water off the hood?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

/facepalm
Old 04-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

You're really dumb. You don't touch it with your hand to see if it's hot use your tongue if it burns that it is to hot.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:08 AM
The Cat's Meow

And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic

This could be a number of issues. My suggestion would be to take it to a shop. Some shops will diagnose for free, and if not, is it not worth the hour labor charge? better than riding a bicycle when your car evaporates into the atmosphere.

Quick Reply: Del Sol overheating