Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Del Sol leaker..

Old 02-17-2006, 09:28 AM
HOORAY BEER!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cantseemyfeet has disabled reputation
Default Del Sol leaker..

Hey again, My gf has a problem with her delsol, the roof leaks like crazy when it rains hard. I'm pretty sure its coming from the pins where you lock the detachable roof in place, but im not sure. Any Sol-owners know what I'm talking about or have any idea how to fix it. I've got a wet girl, no pun intended..
Old 02-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Del Sol leaker..

I've always heard it comes from the seals around the tops
Old 02-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Where is the water collecting? There are a couple of places that the water can get in, the three big ones are the roof seals, the gutter drains below the back glass, and the sail panel fasteners. If you're getting water in the trunk, it's the sail panel fasteners. Honda made that the lowest point in the gutter around the trunk lid, so it makes a nice drain. Good design.
The drains below the back glass are there to drain the water that gets around the dew seal on the glass, just like the holes in the bottom of doors. If the drains get clogged, water will pool at the bottom of the glass mechanism (basically at floor level but you can't see it because it's behind a panel) and get into the car. There is an access panel on the cabin side of the back glass, you'll have to take the plastic interior panels out behind the seats. If it's been raining hard and you park the pointing slightly downhill and the drains are clogged, you've got problems. The same thing can happen with the sail panel fasteners, but the water will be confined to the trunk unless there's a LOT of water in the car.
It's the roof seals, you should be able to take a garden hose to it and make it repeat the problem. There is a way to shim the detachment mechanism and make the roof latch down tighter. I don't remember how it's done though, I never had a problem with the roof seals in my sol.
I would really recommend keeping the roof and door seals well conditioned with a good seal dressing, that will help out a lot. Door seals shrink when they get really dry, so keeping them conditioned is a good idea.

oh yeah, if you've had the windshield replaced, that can leak and water will flow right down the firewall on the inside. Not too common, but it happens. It's really the clips that hold the plastic cowl at the base of the windshield in place.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 02-17-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

RaCe_Me_FaSt has disabled reputation

Just take off the targa and put some petroleum jelly all over the rubber seals...and your problem is solve for awhile until the petroleum jelly is all gone...it work for me in the rainy days....