Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

b20 over heating + iac

Old 05-07-2011, 09:06 AM
for alarms/rmt-strts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation
Default b20 over heating + iac

have a b20b in an ef sedan that i just had more head work done to. So i went to the junk yard and snagged the temp sensor that goes onto the thermostat housing because mine was cracked then finally broke.I went to a buds house to put it on and the way home the car still over heated. I did notice that the thermostat was not opening but since it is a jdm motor i figured it was just old. I got a new one today and boiled the old one just to be sure. well the old one opened and the new one still wont open. WTF!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Also now im throwing a IAC code that i didnt throw before the valve job.

if possible can someone post how my hoses are supposed to be ran? thermostat not kicking on and neither is the fan.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: b20 over heating + iac

The fan obviously needs to be fixed, and that's an easy thing to troubleshoot. The fan relay will turn on when the fan thermoswitch trips, and the fan will turn on. You can easily test the thermoswitch, and you can easily test if the fan is getting power.

You might have got a defective new thermostat if it's not opening. But, you said the old one opened so it doesn't sound like the thermostat is the problem. So that says that something else is preventing the coolant from flowing, such as a clogged radiator or broken water pump.

You haven't said very much about the overheating behavior, such as how long it takes to overheat, and whether it only starts overheating when it's sitting still, etc.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:05 PM
for alarms/rmt-strts

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
The fan obviously needs to be fixed, and that's an easy thing to troubleshoot. The fan relay will turn on when the fan thermoswitch trips, and the fan will turn on. You can easily test the thermoswitch, and you can easily test if the fan is getting power.

You might have got a defective new thermostat if it's not opening. But, you said the old one opened so it doesn't sound like the thermostat is the problem. So that says that something else is preventing the coolant from flowing, such as a clogged radiator or broken water pump.

You haven't said very much about the overheating behavior, such as how long it takes to overheat, and whether it only starts overheating when it's sitting still, etc.
sorry about that. the only thing thats not new is the water pump because when i originally put the swap in it was not in stock anywhere close to me and i was impatient. it takes about 10-15 minutes of driving for the car to be RIGHT under the H line. headgasket appears to be fine, i can jump the fan and run the car like that with the "heat" on and it still over heats. no actual heat blows out tho because of the thermostat not opening. ive boiled all of my thermostats and they all open. top rad hose is burning hot and bottom is super cold
Old 05-08-2011, 07:51 AM
for alarms/rmt-strts

when i bled the system i didnt bleed it for long enough. i re bled the system today for about 30 min and the thermostat opened up fine. also the sensor i got from the junkyard was bad so that explains the no fan thing
Old 05-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

That makes more sense. What you were saying about the heater core didn't match up with the rest of the problems you were describing.