Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

d16y8 vs d16z6

Old 05-11-2011, 06:14 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC
Default d16y8 vs d16z6

I searched but didnt get anything. I did a little research last night on differences on these motors, both sohc vtec. What i got out of it is the y8 head is a little bigger chambers? Also z6 is obd1 and y8 is obd2? As for the bottom ends apparently the reason the y8's spun bearing more often is because they have 1 oil port versus the z6 having 2 ports? Correct me if i am wrong please. Im considering running a z6 bottom end with a y8 top end, if so what all will i need to change?
Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

RoCdaSoHc has disabled reputation
Default Re: d16y8 vs d16z6

You will be better off going with a full z6 long block. What are your plans for this motor? N/A or forced induction?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Registered member

SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC

Forced, thing is i have a y8 already minus oil pan valve cover thermo housing and pulleys. Ive got the head already pretty damn clean. I plan on getting all forged, vitara pistons, eagle rods for the bottom, looking at toda cam, valves, spring, prolly stock retainers and a p&p. Considering the vitara pistons run a 9:5:1 i believe itd be safe to run 10-13 correct? I just dont want to get it together and spin a bearing. Im pretty much replacing everything
Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 AM
QUOTES YOUR DUMBASS

unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum

Originally Posted by RoCdaSoHc
You will be better off going with a full z6 long block.
THIS.

Originally Posted by SleepySOHC
Forced, thing is i have a y8 already minus oil pan valve cover thermo housing and pulleys. Ive got the head already pretty damn clean. I plan on getting all forged, vitara pistons, eagle rods for the bottom, looking at toda cam, valves, spring, prolly stock retainers and a p&p. Considering the vitara pistons run a 9:5:1 i believe itd be safe to run 10-13 correct? I just dont want to get it together and spin a bearing. Im pretty much replacing everything
10-13 what? If it's compression then that's to much unless you go all motor which isn't to hard.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Registered member

Sorry 10-13 psi, and why exactly go all z6? Whats really the differences? Sorry to ask alot but i like to learn about this stuff
Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 AM
QUOTES YOUR DUMBASS

unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum unuzual kustum

Sorry 10-13 psi, and why exactly go all z6? Whats really the differences? Sorry to ask alot but i like to learn about this stuff
Only thing good off the y8 is the intake manifold. It flows better than the z6 and is a cheap upgrade if you can't afford aftermarket.

The z6 head doesn't flow as well as the y8 but p&p can fix that. Of course the z6 does have better rods and better oiling system than y8. Y8 has the thinnest OEM headgasket as well.

EDIT: y8 9.6:1 and z6 9.2:1 compression factory

Last edited by unuzual kustum; 05-11-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Registered member

Have that thin of headgasket a big problem? I was thinking of keeping the y8 head and getting a p&p would be better then the z6 with a p&p?? Im not worried about the rods being better theyd be getting scrapped anyways.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 AM
QUOTES YOUR DUMBASS

Have that thin of headgasket a big problem? I was thinking of keeping the y8 head and getting a p&p would be better then the z6 with a p&p?? Im not worried about the rods being better theyd be getting scrapped anyways.
Depending on what year vehicle becomes a factor for wiring and distributor problems.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Registered member

Are you talking about the head swapping? And i would need a jumper right since ones obd1 and other is obd2?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:45 AM
QUOTES YOUR DUMBASS

Are you talking about the head swapping? And i would need a jumper right since ones obd1 and other is obd2?
Engine swapping too because obd1 and obd2 plugs are different. Not only will you have to change sensors to work but I'm pretty sure some sensors are in different locations. All in all if you dont plan on using ANY stock internals from either then choose one or the other cause then they are basically the same. Just make sure your sensors are compatible with with the harness you're using in your car.

Quick Reply: d16y8 vs d16z6