Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

d16 bolt ons any differance?

Old 09-18-2003, 02:17 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec
Default d16 bolt ons any differance?

As I have posted in the past few weeks I am going to be building 89-91 Civic Si HB (as soon as I find the car) for the SCCA Solo II STS class. I have started looking on Ebay and other sites to find that there are a ton of 1off headers, and intakes out there. But my question is are there any differances between these companys? Say a DC sports header and a DC style header (the welds look good on some of these pics)

I figure that the differances in the intakes are just the filters, and the headers would be the welds. If anyone has info on the differances please post.

Thanx
Michael

Last edited by vbspec; 09-18-2003 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

hondazccivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do some research...

Hey, if you did some research you would probablly find that the difference would be the diameter of the piping, if it is mandrel bent or not, and if the inside is polished to a smooth surface to increase flow of exhaust/air.
-Aaron-
Old 09-19-2003, 03:22 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Research? I thought I was doing that. Asking a group of people on a tech forum to make a call based on their experiances. These are basic bolt-on I'm looking at. If the size of the tube makes a differance which is the right size.

My whole thing is that a knock off maybe as good as the origional and you not have to pay for all the hype. I figure anything is better than stock so if a CAI, Header, and exhaust from say AEM, DC Sports, and HKS give you a total of 15hp and cost you $1000, and you knock off brands give you 12-13hp for $500. Is a mear 2hp-3hp worth twice the coin?

Michael
Old 09-19-2003, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex

good bargain shopping Michael. save the money for something worth the horse power. It' like buying nike shoes or reeboks. if that makes any sense. later
Old 09-20-2003, 08:21 AM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

vb, you couldnt have said it any better.. i would go to manufacturer's site and check out the measurements, then see about the knockoff, because usually you can find measurements on those too.. the differences might only be subtle but it could be the difference between a cracked header and one thats still working...
Old 09-20-2003, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

hondazccivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default just go boost

Hey, why don't you save your money on the intake and header and go buy a turbo kit for your car. Each psi is worth about 8-10 horsepower. The avg. turbo puts out 6 psi so u got 48-60 horsepower right off the bat.
-Aaron-
Old 09-20-2003, 05:27 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Because I am building the car for a specific class I can only do bolt-ons. No boost
Old 09-20-2003, 08:03 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Man I love Ebay!!! I just got a camber kit, CAI, and strut tower brace for less than 200 shipped. Thats less than buying a DC sport tower brace and having it shipped. I am so stoked!!
Old 09-22-2003, 06:10 AM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

nice deal bud , and a little test to make sure your getting good flow thrrough the filter... put the filter over your mouth like a mask, and breathe in, if you can breathe normally its a good filter, if not switch it to a K&N... they last forever