Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

d15b7 misfire over 1/4 throttle

Old 10-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daintegrajdm has disabled reputation
Default d15b7 misfire over 1/4 throttle

Ok i havent done a whole lot of trouble shooting so ill point out what the issue is what i belive it to be and if anyone can help that would be great.

Just put a d15b7 into my 92 hatch it will run great for a while then it will idle rough try to stall when i take off and it will also sputter really bad at 1/4 throttle or more. Now if i drive in fourth gear around 60 mph it will stop doing it but if i shift to 5th it will do it again or if i ease into the throttle it will sputter again.

I drove the car all last night and this morning ran great. Then when i left work on lunch break it started to do it again. I just changed the plugs and its not as bad but still doing it. The plugs have a little whiteish tint but mostly tan colored. Buddy of mine checked the timing said its good ( I dont know shit about single cams always had b series). I have changed the map sensor, Iac, and plugs.
The car has an obd0 Bseries throttle body on it?
Has b series wires?

I dunno if either of those could be the problem but im not trying to waste money trouble shooting im broke after this swap wrecked my daily and had to throw this thing together.

Also have the problem of ocasionally blowing the number 4 wire off the dizzy. I ziptied them to the dizzy like you do with the msd wires and still not fixing the problems. If someone could lend me some advice id appreciate it. Car has great spark all across the board.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:33 AM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom
Default Re: d15b7 misfire over 1/4 throttle

you have a spark/fuel problem. b-series wires wont fit on a d-series. what type of spark plugs/wires/fuel are you using, and when was the last time you did a tune-up on the car?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Daintegrajdm has disabled reputation

i litteraly just dropped this swap in. Only went d cause it was cheap and i wrecked my daily driver. so i needed to swap my hatch asap. Its running with the b series wires on it ill change them eventually but i just dont see the wires being an intermittent problem where it comes and goes. im just running wawa 87 pump gas no point in wasting money on that pos motor. I have bkr6e-11 plugs in it that i just put in a few hours ago. Work at a bike shop so i grabed some off the shelf to throw in. I havent changed the fuel filter yet either. I know it needs a tune up but i dunno if it is going to solve my problem or not. I plan on new dizzy cap, Rotor button, wires, fuel filter. New oil and filter already on/ in. Needs valve cover gasket its leaking pretty bad as well.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you're using a B-series throttle body on that engine, and the B-series throttle body is larger than the D-series throttle body that came on the engine, and you're using the stock ECU, you could have some problems. Intake manifold velocity will be different for any given throttle plate opening, so you won't get the same cylinder filling for a given manifold pressure and throttle position. This isn't going to cause misfire problems obviously, but you might have some other problems with how the engine is running with the untuned stock ECU. Keep that in mind.

Obviously you should be using the correct wires for that engine, and I wouldn't worry too much about troubleshooting anything until you have the proper parts.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 AM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you're using a B-series throttle body on that engine, and the B-series throttle body is larger than the D-series throttle body that came on the engine, and you're using the stock ECU, you could have some problems. Intake manifold velocity will be different for any given throttle plate opening, so you won't get the same cylinder filling for a given manifold pressure and throttle position. This isn't going to cause misfire problems obviously, but you might have some other problems with how the engine is running with the untuned stock ECU. Keep that in mind.

Obviously you should be using the correct wires for that engine, and I wouldn't worry too much about troubleshooting anything until you have the proper parts.
pretty much. get the right parts on the car, reset the ecu, and then report back.