Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

D-series rod/piston question

Old 11-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
streetsk8er757 has disabled reputation
Default D-series rod/piston question

I was just wondering if I can put stock pistons on an aftermarket connecting rods. For D-series honda
Old 11-21-2005, 07:49 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT
Default Re: D-series rod/piston question

yes, you can, but you might have to buy new ones, trying to get the old stock pistons off of stock rods can prove hazardous to the pistons even when done by machine shops.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:03 AM
Dont guess, diagnose

連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入

You can do it. Its not as bad as the guy above makes it seem though. Its just simply pressing the wrist pins out and then the new ones back in.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:04 AM
Registered Member

streetsk8er757 has disabled reputation

sounds good enough to me
Old 11-22-2005, 04:18 AM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

When pressing a wrist pin out of the stock piston there is a chance of making even a hair line crack in the piston. That is what he meant buy hazardous, putting a cracked piston back in your motor. And you may not even know it was cracked.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:29 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by Nd4sped
You can do it. Its not as bad as the guy above makes it seem though. Its just simply pressing the wrist pins out and then the new ones back in.

thats right, cause i have no idea what im talking about nor do i have any experience with anything. stock pistons are a whole lot more fragile after being used for so long and when trying to take the wrist pin out damage is most likely to occur because of the softness of the piston, constant expansion and contraction of the metal weakens it and is very susceptible to damage.

Originally Posted by thebettersol
When pressing a wrist pin out of the stock piston there is a chance of making even a hair line crack in the piston. That is what he meant buy hazardous, putting a cracked piston back in your motor. And you may not even know it was cracked.
exactly, sometimes its a small crack and other times the pistons just shatter at the wrist pin slot, basically you take a chance whether or not your pistons will be damaged,

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 11-22-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Dont guess, diagnose

Its really not hard to notice hairline fractures. Most of the time you can simply run your finger nail along the inside of the bore where the wrist pin sits and you will feel the crack. Otherwise you can use a fine haired paint brush (done this before) and the hairs will catch in the crack.

There are many ways to identify fractures.

Btw didnt say you didnt know anything so the sarcasam really isnt necassary. The job is easy to identify as long as you pay attention to detail but Im sure you knew that already.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:30 PM
-HUFF-

non-vtecpower has disabled reputation

Dunkums machine shop in Newport News put USDM Type r piston on LS rods for me with no trouble..
Old 11-22-2005, 05:58 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

Originally Posted by non-vtecpower
Dunkums machine shop in Newport News put USDM Type r piston on LS rods for me with no trouble..
were the pistons new and not attached to rods?.

no one is saying that stock pistons cant be put on aftermarket rods or stock rods, i had ctr pistons put on my ls rods, but the old ls pistons had to be tossed out cause they shattered when the shop tried to press the pins out to cut the ls rods . has happened on a friend of mines stuff as well and the machine shop i go to basically tells you up front dont plan on using the old pistons again unless they get away with it. the argument at hand is the question of whether or not its a good idea to take stock used pistons off of stock used rods and expect them to be perfectly fine. i mean yes it happens, but theres also unseen effects that the pistons can suffer if they dont break completely.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:38 PM
Dont guess, diagnose

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
i mean yes it happens, but theres also unseen effects that the pistons can suffer if they dont break completely.

Definetly one reason why cast pistons suck.

Quick Reply: D-series rod/piston question