Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

cv joint questions

Old 03-22-2005, 10:45 AM
i see you! ಠ_ಠ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta
Default cv joint questions

I drive a 93 civic dx coupe, and lately ive noticed a clicking during turns. from past experience with another car, i came up with a bad cv joint. so i looked at the boots and both fronts are torn, grease everywhere. =[

and to my question (as ive never replaced these before), i did a litle online research - would you say replacing joints is labor intensive? should i find a shop or attempt it myself?

and my 2nd question is, does anyone reccomend local shops for quality cv joints with a decent price? thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:55 AM
i see you! ಠ_ಠ

spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta spidsta
Default Re: cv joint questions

or should i just change the axle..
Old 03-22-2005, 11:21 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

if i were you, go to pep boys, trade them in and get some new ones , they are pretty cheap and come with a lifetime warranty, and i can change axles in about 10 minutes but if youve never done them before, itll take a little longer......if you need some axles changed i can do them for ya for alot cheaper than any shop, but if your only wanting to go to a shop, accuracy automotive is a great local shop and shad could have it done in a couple minutes......
Old 03-22-2005, 12:00 PM
follow me if you can

bigd0915 is an unknown quantity at this point

gosh ive done so many of these i can do it in my sleep..

you will need a large 32mm or 34mm (i forget what the civic has, i think its a 32) socket to remove the axle nut

***EDIT*** i have an extra socket in the toolbox if you would like to borrow it. (if you choose to do it your self)

for seperating the lower ball joint you usually can do it with a firm hit to the side of it, otherwise you will need a set of forks but they tend to tear up the boots.

like more impatient said, its about a 10 minute job if you know what you are doing.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

I just changed the CV axle in my '90 CRX.... took my about 25 minutes and the axle was $39.95. Much smarter to do it yourself, you'll pay a pro $150 buck to do it.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:38 PM
i see you! ಠ_ಠ

thanks for the responses guys, i appreciate it. ill stop by pep boys or napa to see prices, but its cheaper if i have the core? i'll definately look into that.

ill try doing it myself (or with my cousin), just another question, how hard is the axel nut to remove? will i need an impact?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

yeah an impact is definitely nice, if not a 1/2" socket wrench with a 3 foot piece of pipe will break it free. you will have to do this before you jack up the car because if you dont, you'll just spin the front wheel unless someone is holding down on the brakes pretty firmly. usually they are notched to keep them from spinning off, so take a screwdriver and unnotch the axle nut before you go to remove it, just makes it a little easier.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:13 PM
i see you! ಠ_ಠ

thanks!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

just be glad you dont have a toyota camry or vw jetta.