VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   Crazy high idle (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/crazy-high-idle-278365/)

8====D 02-22-2009 05:06 PM

Crazy high idle

Ok so I replaced my intake manifold with an AEBS and the throttle body with a Oyddesy tb. I also got a fresh IAC and when I replaced it I also replaced the intake manifold gasket. There are no vacum leaks and when I start it, it idles at 5.5k rpms... but I turn it off right away... what other problem could this be? Note I also deleted the fast idle... its a B16

Fabrik8 02-22-2009 08:16 PM

Re: Crazy high idle

First of all, reset the ECU. Then check to see how far open the throttle plate is, and if it's getting held open by any differences in the throttle cable or throttle cable bracket position. After that, look for vac leaks. It can't idle at 5.5k unless it's getting a pretty decent amount of air, so you need to figure out where that is coming from.

You're going to need to get tuned also. You've changed enough things that you shouldn't be running stock maps and fueling parameters.

8====D 02-23-2009 01:24 AM

This maybe a dumb question but how do I go about resetting the ECU.... I dont thing that could create such a high idle but im not sure. The throttle body cable when the car is off allows the throttle body plate to close completely.... could it be different when the motor is running? Finally im sure its not real safe to allow the car to hold rpms at 5.5k rpms while I check this stuff.. so what do I do there?

thanks

integrab17 02-23-2009 08:52 AM

i could be the tb?

Fabrik8 02-23-2009 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Unk (Post 5015898)
This maybe a dumb question but how do I go about resetting the ECU.... I dont thing that could create such a high idle but im not sure. The throttle body cable when the car is off allows the throttle body plate to close completely.... could it be different when the motor is running? Finally im sure its not real safe to allow the car to hold rpms at 5.5k rpms while I check this stuff.. so what do I do there?

thanks

Unplug the ECU and wait for a while, or unplug the ECU fuse and press the brake pedal (the brake light will drain power from the memory backup in the ECU).

Any way you slice it, you have to have airflow to idle at 5500 RPM. Engines don't operate without air. So either you have a leak somewhere past the throttle body, the throttle body isn't closing all the way, or you have a beast of an IACV and it's staying open all the time.

And no, the throttle plate angle won't change with the engine running, unless you have a drive by wire throttle (which you don't). Unplug the IACV and see if anything changes.

How are you checking that you have no vacuum leaks, and how did you delete the FITV?

Fabrik8 02-23-2009 09:56 AM

Also make sure the throttle position sensor is properly calibrated.

And you still need to get tuned once you figure out the idle problems..

8====D 02-23-2009 06:48 PM

well all I did was remove the FIT I was told it was ok to do this as the b16 doesnt need it. Could it be the the IAC has had coolent run through it when it was in place and plugged in?

CHAHONDA 02-23-2009 07:12 PM

where is the car located? i may be able to take a look at it

8====D 02-23-2009 08:43 PM

Its located in newport news. Hit me up on a text at 757-344-6346 only problem with that is my next free day isnt tell next wed

but that would be great cuz im REALLY getting fed up with it....

8====D 02-25-2009 10:10 PM

Ttt could still use help