Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

cougar supercharged/thunderbird sc

Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85_JSTANG has disabled reputation
Default cougar supercharged/thunderbird sc

ok people, just trying to gain some info. the cougar came with the SC v6 in 89-90. now is there any difference in the engines besides the supercharger? i figured that the internals would probly be different. but same with the thunderbird SC. any difference in the standard v6 and supercharged v6?

like you probly kno the 89-90 cougar are kinda hard to find, and was wondering why people dont jus supercharge their standard cougar and get the same power, i kno it wouldnt be as rare of a car but you could get the same power and still have a rarely seen supercharged cougar.

well jus hit me back wit some info

thanks guys.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD
Default Re: cougar supercharged/thunderbird sc

Or just buy a mustang
Old 03-25-2009, 05:27 AM
Anti "DONK"

ShortyzKustomz has disabled reputation

If I do recall when the SC locked up on my friend TBirds (a few years ago) The only info we found only listed the Tbird ones as interchangable. I may be wrong though, I just remember him saying that cause he had found a totalled SC Cougar
Old 03-25-2009, 05:37 AM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

Same motor, its a 3.8 Essex. They just threw the SC on it and called it a day.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:04 AM
Registered Member

thanks guys, because ive seen a thousand tbird non-sc v6 for like 2K less than the supercoupe, ans same with the cougars, i jus wondering because i love the whole concept with building a one-of-a-kind v6 that smokes most v8s, the look on peoples faces when they relize its a v6 is priceless (buddy did that with a 3.8 stang, believe '95) but yeah, im thinking about buyin a non-sc tbird/cougar and jus building it up.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

There is probably a difference in pistons and rods, maybe cams. You shouldn't have to worry about much else probably. I'd say get the non-SC because if you want any real performance you're going to end up replacing all of the factory parts that are different anyway.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Its a Man part.

8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 85_JSTANG
thanks guys, because ive seen a thousand tbird non-sc v6 for like 2K less than the supercoupe, ans same with the cougars, i jus wondering because i love the whole concept with building a one-of-a-kind v6 that smokes most v8s, the look on peoples faces when they relize its a v6 is priceless (buddy did that with a 3.8 stang, believe '95) but yeah, im thinking about buyin a non-sc tbird/cougar and jus building it up.
Dude that was one long ass sentence... Which made me feel as though I dont want to help in anyway... but its k.

Im not telling you what to do with your money.. or to go buy a import or anything but... You should really look at the kind of money your going to spend on this T-bird.. Didnt the early 90 thunder birds come turboed? I could be wrong but you may want to look into that. Reason I say this is because I had a buddy with a 1996 Thunder Bird with a semi built1998 Cobra motor swapped into it that made 404whp all motor attached to an auto tranny... and the best he could muster with it was mid to low 13 sec runs in the 1/4 mile... I only said that because as you may know there are alot better cars out there to "smoke V8s" and way more cost effective.

P.S I forsee red in your future.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

the 87 and 88 tbird were the turbo coupe. haha was kinda a long sentence, didnt really pay attention. yeah i kno there are tons of cars that you can build to smoke a v8 in a sec. but i personally like the body style of the cougar and thunderbird. first the cougar, if u find a person who doesnt know to much about them it looks like a sleeper. and the thunderbird (im kinda a ford guy) is different because all of my buds drive mustangs and they are wayyy to many on the road, i like being different.

im not to much into the import scene. Gotta Love American Cars

Fabrik8

yeah i got thinking about that too, im jus looking for a good (not to big) project build, something i can enjoy cruising but be able to smoke them Ricer Kids LMAO (no offense hondas lol)
Old 03-31-2009, 12:38 PM
DA CLAN!

Wu TAng is a jewel in the roughWu TAng is a jewel in the roughWu TAng is a jewel in the rough

ive owned a supercoupe, 2 in fact. the supercoupe has a lot more going on in it then a stock 3.8. internals were forged, stock 3.8's didnt have these, and all the tubing for the supercharger setup is very complecated. The supercharger sits basicly upside down and the air is forced into it through the rear of the engine. The whole setup is odd but it works and the throttle response is ok. The price diffrence is very small and i dont think its anywhere close to 2000. I picked mine up for only 800 and the red one for 1200. ive seen some on craigslist for less than that. As for the swap ,dont. It will take you an assload of time to source everything you need and then when the setup is done you will still only see high 14's from a almost stock swapped car. Im not saying their not fast beacuse they will pull on a zo6 on the highway if enough performance parts are added during the swap. As for power your not gonna make over 400rwhp unless your willing to invest over 10k into it. If your really into ford v6 engines buy a wrecked one and a 4 banger mustang for like 500 each and swap the engine into the stang, theres a crapload of info on it and you can keep up with way faster cars. 400hp in a t-bird might only make you run 12's but a stock 3.8 supercharged swaped stang will het you close to that. Ive known of the cars to run high 12's stock and im sure with a water to air intercooler swap ,ported heads and m90, would pull you into the high 11's.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:35 PM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 85_JSTANG

im not to much into the import scene. Gotta Love American Cars

yeah i got thinking about that too, im jus looking for a good (not to big) project build, something i can enjoy cruising but be able to smoke them Ricer Kids LMAO (no offense hondas lol)

no we dont.... (have to like american cars)

and unfortunately for you, it will take "them ricer kids" alot less time , and money to completely destroy your T-Bird in their honda....gotta love power to weight....and those Birds Weigh a SHITTON!! but good luck with that...

Quick Reply: cougar supercharged/thunderbird sc