Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Copper or Brass hammer?

Old 02-19-2014, 12:22 PM
superuser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Question Copper or Brass hammer?

Have the option to get either a brass or copper hammer for about the same price.

The brass one has much more usage options and is denser (and heavier at 2.5 lbs) with a tapered head (similar to a "drilling" mini-sledge) with a fiberglass handle.

The copper one is a square face, 1.65 lbs, and hickory handle. Nothing fancy at all. Copper is much softer and could be used for more detailed metalwork. Brass is just a more all-around used for non-sparking.

Any reason to get the copper one? What do you use the copper for that you wouldn't use a non-marring deadblow hammer instead?
Old 02-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Copper or Brass hammer?

Copper is more expensive but protects against damage more that brass because it's softer, just like you said. Copper is more dense than brass, you have it backwards.
Using a non-marring deadblow doesn't really cut it for a lot of things because it absorbs too much energy, but I don't know if you'd be doing many of those things in your garage. Yeah, you can get along fine with a deadblow and a brass faced hammer or brass mallet. The whole non-sparking thing works well for brass because it's still fairly strong and fairly hard, which means you can make non-sparking tools that still perform passably. Brass can still mar steel, and will mar more than copper will. Either are a lot better than using steel on steel.

If you just want a general purpose hammer that will be gentle on steel, I'd get the brass because it will last longer. If you have a need for the softer copper hammer, get the copper hammer. If you really need the copper hammer, I'd make sure you get a fresh one anyway so you're not using a beat up hammer on something delicate. With a brass or copper hammer, the hammer face is sacrificial...

Last edited by Fabrik8; 02-19-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Re: Copper or Brass hammer?

Thanks.

Went ahead and got the 2.5 brass and skipped on the copper. Opted instead for a few deadblow polyurethane faced hammers (1 and 2 pounders) and a 1 pound one with 5 replaceable tips. Saw that there are actually steel and copper tips in a variety of sizes from Enco that can be used with the deadblow if I ever find the need for the copper as a lower cost option for occasional use. Think that a few hardness types of tips would do well, at least in the future.

The brass comes in handy with axles and other hard steel items around the vehicles. Not sure what I'd use each of the tips for soon, but nice to have the option on hand if needed for a future project.