Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

complex question for all you guru's

Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 PM
C.R.E.A.M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM
Default Re: complex question for all you guru's

Originally Posted by Flinch
Why are boobs good?
Old 03-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If it's not a planetary differential, so for example a crown gear differential, it gets much more brain bending because it becomes a case of gear diameter that gives the static torque split, and there is no change in gear ratio (tooth ratio). It's the application distance (moment) that is different between the front and rear shafts. If you see a picture of it, it's brain warping because it doesn't look like the torque split should actually work.
I looked up Audi's quattro crown gear center differential. I see what you mean by mind bending. It doesn't help that the input shaft and front output shaft are co-axial (one is hollow and the other passes through the center of it). That adds to the mind bendyness...haha.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by JDM74
I looked up Audi's quattro crown gear center differential. I see what you mean by mind bending. It doesn't help that the input shaft and front output shaft are co-axial (one is hollow and the other passes through the center of it). That adds to the mind bendyness...haha.
The coaxial part is fine, it's just two things on the same rotating axis that are different diameters so they don't interfere.

The bendy part is that you have two crown gears with the same tooth count, and are applying torque at a different radius on each gear while the two crown gears and the input shaft are all rotating the same speed (and therefore without any relative motion of the spider gears) and all three inputs/outputs share the same rotating axis. The shared rotating axis and difference in torque with no relative motion is what stalled me out the first time I saw it. It's easier to wrap your head around during wheel slip, when one of the crown gears is then rotating at a different speed than the other crown gear.

I think I remember that the key to the torque split is the ability of the spider gears (which can freely rotate about the cross shafts) to be in equilibrium on the two crown gears. I can't remember, I'll have to go look at it again. If they weren't in equilibrium, they'd rotate along the crown gears instead of just being a point of force application. So the spider gear transfers torque from the input shaft, but is also a gear that rotates at a distance from the center of the input shaft, and without that distance component you can't do the torque split. So the rotation of the spider gears make it possible to have different gear ratios from multiple shafts that share the same rotational axis.

You couldn't just have a flange on the input shaft (instead of the spider gears), and flanges on the two output shafts (instead of the crown gears) and bolt/rivet the flanges together at different diameters. You'd have no torque split if you did that, because you'd be transmitting torque at whatever flange attachment diameter into another flange with the same attachment diameter along the same axis. So you'd have a 1:1 ratio and the diameter therefore doesn't matter. You need an input gear (cross shaft and spider gears) driving two output gears for the concept to actually work at all.

Interestingly, just like an open rear diff in a RWD car, you have to have both output gears. If you don't have both, it will freewheel and you'll get no output torque at all. In this case though, if you break a front or rear shaft, the lockup ability from the clutch packs will still allow torque to be transmitted to the other shaft.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-12-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:30 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Simply put: The angle of the dangle, needs to be in proportion to the heat of the beat.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

This is almost as fun as looking under a 5th Gen COPO this afternoon and pondering the multi-link strut (front) suspension.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Racetracks

Too bad the OP doesn't seem to care about the thread he created...
Old 03-12-2015, 06:30 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

That's because the OP just wants to see the classifieds. You should probably reset his post count.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by Yardjass
That's because the OP just wants to see the classifieds. You should probably reset his post count.
He has 164 posts, so the classifieds shouldn't be an issue. I think....
Old 03-12-2015, 07:01 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Oh, wow. No idea then.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Interestingly, just like an open rear diff in a RWD car, you have to have both output gears. If you don't have both, it will freewheel and you'll get no output torque at all. In this case though, if you break a front or rear shaft, the lockup ability from the clutch packs will still allow torque to be transmitted to the other shaft.
This is what helped me understand what as going on. Once I realized the input shaft and the front shaft were co-axial I was able to figure it out fairly quickly. I visually turned the input shaft 90 degrees and ran one of the crown gears (not by the same gear teeth that make the crown) with a piņon gear and then since you basically have spider gear running output gears on each side but the output gears are running on 2 different radii but with the same ratios because of the tooth count, it started to make sense. I think that works, but at any rate it helped me figure out what was going on.

Sometimes I wish I was a automotive engineer instead of a boat engineer...

Quick Reply: complex question for all you guru's