Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

COMP cams?

Old 09-30-2004, 03:23 PM
always broke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to behold
Default COMP cams?

i have the money now and want to upgrade my valve train in my b16. I wanted to know what i should do, and what the best bang for my buck was. I found the stage three comps cams, but i havnt heard how well the run. I do plan on upgrading the valve springs and retainers. I dont believe that it is requierd, as it is with the skunk two cams. I know the comp cam set is alot less then most others, and i have heard good things about COMP CAMS in general.

How much should i expect to pay to buy and install a good set of cams, springs, retainers, and cam gears?

I do have a limited budget, and i know everyone on here seems to be all about JDM this and that, but i dont have the money for Jun or Toda stuff i dont think.

So let me know what you think, and let me know some #'s, be as technical and general as you want.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:24 PM
always broke

DomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: COMP cams?

i also have to drive this car to work and back for atleast the winter.........so i need this to be a street drivable and reliable car.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Motor Trend Mechanic

VT Prix GT 2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stage 3 anything and reliability should never be used in the same sentence. For the most part, stage 3 cams will require some head work. And of course springs and retainers since again, you're getting a stage 3 set up. I have a stage 1 comp cam set up and I got away with just new lifters. But overall, I love my comp cam.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:47 PM
always broke

i was reading online and i was under the impressing that these were streetable cams. They have further stages, " Stage 4 " was the first one that i noticed they even had a notice about valve train upgrades. I will look again i am probably wrong.

What kind of gains did you get out fo the stage one cam? and what engine do you have them on?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:19 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

Brian, comp stage one vtec cams is bigger than type-r cams. Just to give you an idea on how big the stage 3's are, you have to have AT LEAST 12.1:1 compression for the stage 3's, that is what's recomended . What site are you getting your information from? Read the specs on them at the comp cams site. Also Comp has been around alot longer than any of those "JDM" brands. I would think they know what they are doing. I was looking into the stage 2's myself.

I've got CTR's brand new on the way, I'll let you know how they turn out and I'll see if the guy has another set if you are interested.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:49 AM
still alive

gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele

im running ctr cams right now and they are great for the price. i dynoed 152 with just cams a high flow cat, and an apexi ws exhaust in a b16 that is flogged daily with about 80k miles on it. still using the stock header though.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:55 AM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

Comp cams have been around for a while, but in the Import tuning market they are only infants when compared to Jun, Toda,Skunkworks and the like. With the Comp "stage III" cams properly degreed to the manufacturers specifications, I was not impressed with their performance on a 14:1, 2 liter B series. Those Jdm companies, that no one wants to purchase from because they might be accused of jumping on the bandwagon, flat out perform better in all aspects. Your choice though.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Motor Trend Mechanic

VT Prix GT 2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

I noticed a drastic increase in low end power with my stage 1 alone. A nice loapy tune to the exhaust, and top end was also benefitted after a few tweaks to the upper intake manifold. So I'm perfectly content with my Stage 1 purchase. BTW, its in a 3.8 L OHV V6.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:29 PM
always broke

ok well once again i was talking to some more peope, and they said that both the CTR and ITR cams out perform the stage 2's. I did more reading and i now am thinking about the stage two's. I would buy the toda/jun/jdm stuff if i had deep pockets, but i dont. Can someone give me a heads up on performance of the stage 2 vrs the itr/ctr cams?

thanks again
Old 10-02-2004, 05:31 AM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

What do Comp Cams cost?

Quick Reply: COMP cams?