Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Cold Start Idle at 3100 RPM 95 GSR

Old 01-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Cold Start Idle at 3100 RPM 95 GSR

My integra GSR started idling high about a month ago... it usually idled at 2100-2300 RPM on cold start... and gradually starting increasing over past weeks. at first i thought it was cuz of the really cold weather but its only getting worse. Oh and as it warms up it'll drop a few hundred RPMS and then surge back up and down. once completely warm it idles fine. theres also a new oil leak coming from somewhere under VTEC solenoid

Just head my head gasket replaced 3 months ago. Was running fine until last month

Just need some ideas on where to start and/or if anyones had this problem before.

Mods:
Fully built bottom end
11:1 Comp 81.5mm
Block Guard
built Head with stock GSR cams
brian crower valve train
Stock valves

roughly 20K miles on motor

Last edited by C_WAKE; 01-05-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Cold Start Idle at 3100 RPM 95 GSR

Probably fast idle thermo valve (FITV) or idle air control valve (IACV). The easiest thing to check first is the screen on the IACV. Remove the IACV and clean the screen with a toothbrush and some brake cleaner. Reinstall the IACV and reset the ECU. Could be a wiring problem or an IACV failure, but it's always better to check the easy stuff first.

An FITV failure can also cause that; the FITV uses a wax pellet and a spring and bypasses air like the IACV does, the FITV closes once the coolant gets up to a certain temp and the wax melts. If it fails open then there will be air bypassed across the throttle plate all the time.

Check the IACV first though..
Old 01-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Registered member

C_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these partsC_WAKE is infamous around these parts

thanks ... i actually replaced both of those when i rebuilt the motor with brand new OEM parts you think those coould go bad that fast?... I'll check em
Old 01-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Nope, I don't think they'd go bad that fast.

Check that the throttle cable is free and isn't binding anywhere. Air has to be getting in somewhere for the engine to idle that high, so something is going on.

I don't think this has anything to do with the mods because with 20k on the engine it should be plenty broken in, so it should be well beyond any effects based on higher friction during break-in.

Actually, re-reading your original post, it sounds like the FITV and IACV are working fine.

Have you checked the coolant temp sensor recently?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Registered member

no... i havent but i get temp reading on my gauge in the cluster
Old 01-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Registered member

think maybe a vac leak could do it too
Old 01-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Nope, I don't think they'd go bad that fast.

Check that the throttle cable is free and isn't binding anywhere. Air has to be getting in somewhere for the engine to idle that high, so something is going on.

I don't think this has anything to do with the mods because with 20k on the engine it should be plenty broken in, so it should be well beyond any effects based on higher friction during break-in.

Actually, re-reading your original post, it sounds like the FITV and IACV are working fine.

Have you checked the coolant temp sensor recently?
your speaking of the one ON the radiator right?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

BIG RED is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by C_WAKE
My integra GSR started idling high about a month ago... it usually idled at 2100-2300 RPM on cold start... and gradually starting increasing over past weeks. at first i thought it was cuz of the really cold weather but its only getting worse. Oh and as it warms up it'll drop a few hundred RPMS and then surge back up and down. once completely warm it idles fine. theres also a new oil leak coming from somewhere under VTEC solenoid

Just head my head gasket replaced 3 months ago. Was running fine until last month

Just need some ideas on where to start and/or if anyones had this problem before.

Mods:
Fully built bottom end
11:1 Comp 81.5mm
Block Guard
built Head with stock GSR cams
brian crower valve train
Stock valves

roughly 20K miles on motor
Have you checked the coolant level lately these are classic symptoms of a honda with low coolant..
Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 PM
БЛЯДЬ!

HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG

Originally Posted by C_WAKE
theres also a new oil leak coming from somewhere under VTEC solenoid
Probably either VTEC solenoid gasket or the cam seal right next to it. Very common and cheap and easy to do.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:32 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by ProPixel
Probably either VTEC solenoid gasket or the cam seal right next to it. Very common and cheap and easy to do.
you know all about oil leaks don't you

Quick Reply: Cold Start Idle at 3100 RPM 95 GSR