Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

cold air intake or short ram intake?

Old 10-15-2003, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kshack8386 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cold air intake or short ram intake?

alright everybody I cant decide between cold air or short ram intake which one is better to use? I have got a 96 accord 4 banger and trying to get some ideas on stuff to do if any suggestions let me know. PLEASE!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 03:18 PM
//

theJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these parts

short-ram for the winter, and when the spring comes around, add an extension w/ a bypass valve. I don't see the point for a CAI in the winter when the air is already 40 degrees.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:35 PM
squeegee my fiji

†Specter† †Specter† †Specter†

IMO, cold air. the ram air will give u the sound, but i dont think it will match the hp and ft-lbs tq increase that a CAI can. but i could be wrong.

AEM is what i would go with if i were you. mine is really sweet, (aggravating to install) and i can feel a noticable gain around 3000rpms approx

my .02
Old 10-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

96blkcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

def the cold air, mine gains WAY more hp than a ram air, i second the motion on AEM, theyre the best
Old 10-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

Eh...the differences between the cold air and short ram are minimal to none. The biggest gain (however miniscule) is when you get rid of the stock restrictors and silencers in the first place. If you're looking for that sound though, the 5th gen Accord loves to make noise out of the AEM CAI (or equal).
Old 10-15-2003, 05:31 PM
BOXIN YOU

gen4H22A is an unknown quantity at this point

Save yourself like a hundred bucks go on ebay and get a 2 piece one for 30 bucks...when it rains, you can take off the extension in like 2 minutes and instantly make it a short ram...thats only if your splash guard is off like mine is...and cold air makes a beautiful sound compared to short ram...I dont know if I hear it better because my splash guard is off....some guy once thought my cold air was a spooling turbo...so cold air makes that beautiful sounds and gives u the power gain....even if it isnt a huge gain, every little bit counts homie
Old 10-15-2003, 05:43 PM
Captain night owl

vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger

heheh i got an aem cai sitting in my room on top if my suspension thats in front of my lip
Old 10-15-2003, 06:41 PM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

CAI. It will make more power.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:14 PM
Doin' (today) stuff

DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS

CAI should make more power. a colder charge of air increases power, but not all the bends it may have to go through to get there. lengthening the amount of distance the air has to travel will cut down on some throttle response. so the choice is yours, it really depends on the setup. i haven't seen either one so i can't say...
Old 10-16-2003, 04:43 AM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

Originally posted by 96blkcoupe
def the cold air, mine gains WAY more hp than a ram air
I would like to know how you determined that.
Originally posted by MerF
Eh...the differences between the cold air and short ram are minimal to none.
I agree. On Civics, etc. the gain is typically 1-2 hp with either one, if you're lucky. The only test I've ever seen that showed valid proof was in some mag 2+ years ago. They dyno tested (on a Civic) the DC short ram, AEM CAI, Weaopn-R, Greddy, and some others. The Weapon-R SHORT RAM made the biggest improvement.

Quick Reply: cold air intake or short ram intake?