Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Cold air intake for Mazda Speed 3

Old 11-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaiden has disabled reputation
Default Cold air intake for Mazda Speed 3

What do you recommend for a cold air intake for my Mazda Speed 3? Was looking at KN, SR, and AEM models. Would appreciate any suggestions/advice.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2011, 04:47 PM
last breath first

gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup

Injen makes good cold air intakes. A friend of mine had one and it worked great and sounded awesome. Definitely look into them.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:01 PM
ConflictedFelon

jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k
Default Re: Cold air intake for Mazda Speed 3

for the most part it's just a pipe. just make sure it's the right diameter and you have a good filter.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Registered member

jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02

K&N and AEM both have good reputations for quality products. Don't think you could go wrong with either of them.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

I still don't understand why people install cold air intakes. They are risky and not much gain over a short ram.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Originally Posted by SortaFlush
I still don't understand why people install cold air intakes. They are risky and not much gain over a short ram.

Because the books claim a 12-20hp gain and people lke op are stupid ebough to believe it.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered member

jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02

Originally Posted by SortaFlush
Depends on the car as far as risk goes. On my Mini the CAI goes where the stock air box was. It has a pretty good intake setup stock, the CAI's just increase the amount of flow you can get and takes out the restrictive parts. Other cars though, yeah, I agree with you. I don't know about others, but I know the company that made my intake has a dyno sheet showing a 9hp gain after installing the intake on a stock car. Of course, you have to take their word for it.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Originally Posted by jaqattack02
Depends on the car as far as risk goes. On my Mini the CAI goes where the stock air box was. It has a pretty good intake setup stock, the CAI's just increase the amount of flow you can get and takes out the restrictive parts. Other cars though, yeah, I agree with you. I don't know about others, but I know the company that made my intake has a dyno sheet showing a 9hp gain after installing the intake on a stock car. Of course, you have to take their word for it.

The CAI might be less restictive than stock, but you still have the stock restricting intake on there that's blocking all the extra air the CAI is pulling in.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Reloaded.
The CAI might be less restictive than stock, but you still have the stock restricting intake on there that's blocking all the extra air the CAI is pulling in.
I'm assuming you mean the intake tube between the throttle body and the air box? You're correct about that. A couple companies make smooth silicone hoses to replace that. I'll probably get one of those at some point too.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

I'm talking about the actual intake.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake for Mazda Speed 3