Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

coil packs for hondas...

Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 PM
tits anyone?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)
Default coil packs for hondas...

I saw foxcf's hatch posted for sale and noticed he had indiv. coil packs on a b16. I asked him for some info on them, and he never responded (guessing its a bought not built kinda deal), but I was curious if anyone knew some pros and cons on these things, are they available on single cams, or is it even something that is sold, or is it kinda a do it yourself thing??? thanks
Old 02-05-2009, 01:35 PM
92 si hatchy

jdmsihatch has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: coil packs for hondas...

its probally a bought not built kinda thing.... but im sure it can be ran on dseries. i think its a diy thing also. but you figure this out or if somebody does i would like to try this also
Old 02-05-2009, 01:37 PM
tits anyone?

I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)

judging by the pics of them they look diy, or at lest the wiring does, it seems like something you may run on itbs, but I dont see a real difference in running those or a bigger coil
Old 02-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

ED6KillerB has disabled reputation

The spark is grander and sharper with this design, promoting better combustion overall. You can actually use coil packs from other vehicles on Honda motors(i.e., subaru), but be prepared to spend good money to get them. The Subaru WRX OE ignition coil retails at about $190 apiece.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all

I have seen foxcf's car. His set up is kind of like mega squirt. Everything is ran to the coil packs. There is no ecu. I was interested in his car until I noticed that the stock harness was cut and the person who built the car built a harness for the coil packs. It is too much trouble to do it. not worth the time. That set up comes with software for you to tune the car using a laptop. I asked him how they tune it and he opened the glove box and showed me a cable that you hook up to a laptop. He doesn't even have the software to retune it. he has to get the guy who originally built it to retune it. It doesn't give you anymore power than a stock setup. It does look cool but doesn't really help you out.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:01 PM
tits anyone?

word, haha maybe thats why nobody wants that car...thanks for the input
Old 02-05-2009, 02:04 PM
92 si hatchy

jdmsihatch has a little shameless behaviour in the past

that car has been on fs thread forever
Old 02-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all90lscrx is a name known to all

It's not a bad car. The nicest EF I've seen. And was built right. Just didn't like the thought of not being able to tune the car. If I had got his car I was going to do ITB's with a direct prot nitrous setup.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by 90lscrx
I have seen foxcf's car. His set up is kind of like mega squirt. Everything is ran to the coil packs. There is no ecu. I was interested in his car until I noticed that the stock harness was cut and the person who built the car built a harness for the coil packs. It is too much trouble to do it. not worth the time. That set up comes with software for you to tune the car using a laptop. I asked him how they tune it and he opened the glove box and showed me a cable that you hook up to a laptop. He doesn't even have the software to retune it. he has to get the guy who originally built it to retune it. It doesn't give you anymore power than a stock setup. It does look cool but doesn't really help you out.
WTF are you talking about? No ECU? So the car is carbureted? I think you're confused.

By the way, Honda CBR coil packs are pretty much a drop-in on most Honda engines if I remember correctly, but you have to make sure (as with any cycle coilpacks) that you don't get ones that are for capacitive discharge (CDI) ignitions because they won't work with the majority of ECUs.

Also, you can't use a stock ECU with coilpacks, because the stock ECUs only have one ignition trigger output (that's what the distributor is obviously for). Megasquirt only has two ignition outputs, so it can only do wasted spark, not sequential ignition. You'll need a coil driver module for the Megasquirt also, unless you get an aftermarket fully assembled Megasquirt unit (which may have the two coil drivers built in, but I don't remember).

So make sure you buy an ECU with individual coil outputs, (and maybe an ignition driver module, depending on the ECU) to go along with your coilpacks.

You're right though, there really isn't any advantage with coilpacks except that there aren't any plug wires to wear out and the EMI radiation is lower.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 02-05-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
WTF are you talking about? No ECU? So the car is carbureted? I think you're confused.

By the way, Honda CBR coil packs are pretty much a drop-in on most Honda engines if I remember correctly, but you have to make sure (as with any cycle coilpacks) that you don't get ones that are for capacitive discharge (CDI) ignitions because they won't work with the majority of ECUs.

Also, you can't use a stock ECU with coilpacks, because the stock ECUs only have one ignition trigger output (that's what the distributor is obviously for). Megasquirt only has two ignition outputs, so it can only do wasted spark, not sequential ignition. You'll need a coil driver module also, unless you get an aftermarket fully assembled Megasquirt unit (which may have the two coil drivers built in, but I don't remember).

So make sure you buy an ECU with individual coil outputs, (and maybe an ignition driver module, depending on the ECU) to go along with your coilpacks.

You're right though, there really isn't any advantage with coilpacks except that there aren't any plug wires to wear out and the EMI radiation is lower.

PLUS FUCKING REP!

jesus you know your shit man.

Quick Reply: coil packs for hondas...