Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Clutch break in period

Old 10-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Turbo VTEC-E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black6gen can only hope to improve
Cool Clutch break in period

Ok i am in the prosess of breaking in my new 6 puck stage 3 clutch on my boosted d-series. Now my question is, does anyone have any specific driving tips that would be prefered during this period? Good to boost a bit, not at all,start and stop?

Any help would be great thanx!
Old 10-19-2007, 02:58 PM
HondaAccordSlpr

giterdone has disabled reputation
Default Re: Clutch break in period

Originally Posted by black6gen
Ok i am in the prosess of breaking in my new 6 puck stage 3 clutch on my boosted d-series. Now my question is, does anyone have any specific driving tips that would be prefered during this period? Good to boost a bit, not at all,start and stop?

Any help would be great thanx!
To be completely honest... If the manufacture suggests a break in period, then do as instructed. I have had quite a few fast torque monsters myself and I have broken in a clutch in two ways.

1. Drive it let you stole it. if you are planning to use this as a racecar for the weekend then it will not matter.

2. Drive easy for the 500-1000miles break in time then you should drive it like a normal car. This way it is a clutch that is going to grab no matter what and have long lifespan. Try not to ride the clutch.. with a turbo there is really no reason to try and gearbag every gear, the turbo is there to bring you the power.

I could go on and on but the most important is break the clutch in where you will feel safe and comfortable.. I know clutches are not really the cheapst thing for a car so treat it right and it will take you a long way and even surprise you..
Old 10-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Drive it like you normally would around town, don't go crazy. The whole purpose is to let everything mate and wear in so that there is the most possible surface area. Some types of clutches lay down a layer of friction material that bonds to the mating friction face too. If you go nuts with power right off the bat, you're trying to transmit power across a clutch that isn't fully mated, so there will be less surface area to transmit that power, and more heat will be generated. This can cause glazing and warping.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

The last clutch break-in period lasted until the engine got up to temp. (10 minutes around town) After that, came 40~50 third gear pulls with no ill effects.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:56 AM

EGAS has disabled reputation

Theres talk of break in periods. Ive even talked to people at ACT about it. They say as long as everythings put together right you good from the start.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

its near impossible to go through the recommended break in period on a clutch without getting down on it
Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

black6gen can only hope to improve
Cool Re: Clutch break in period

Well I'm at 30 miles right now. Ill get a little bit more into it after about 100-150 mare miles.AGHH, I can't wait to get on it with this new clutch.