Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Civic won't crank

Old 07-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Z.Clark has disabled reputation
Default Civic won't crank

I have a '93 civic that ran perfectly normal until yesterday when i tried to start it and it wouldn't even crank. I took the starter to advance auto parts and they said the starter was fine, i checked the voltage on the battery and it was good, i just swapped the main relay and it still isn't cranking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Civic won't crank

Look for a broken battery clamp, or a loose ground connection. Do you have power to the radio, cluster, etc., and are just having a problem with the engine starting?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Everything else such as the radio, cluster, etc. work. I'm just having trouble with the engine starting.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Ok, that narrows down the potential problems a lot. Grab a multimeter and see where you have power and where you don't. You're not hearing a "click" or anything else when you try to crank the engine?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:48 PM
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts

Dead spot in starter?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

You can hear the relay click, but you can't hear a starter or anything.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:01 PM
CPL Us Army

jpick_aap_cpp has disabled reputation

Check your ecu also that happened to me last year ECU outta nowhere burnt up. Just a thought.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:40 PM
misunderstood.

s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin

alternator? ecu isn't throwing any codes?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by Z.Clark
You can hear the relay click, but you can't hear a starter or anything.
Check for something like a broken battery clamp or a loose/corroded ground. It's very possible that you aren't getting enough current to start the engine.

What happens when you try to start it? Besides hearing the click, does your radio turn off, do your gauge cluster lights dim, any things like that?

FYI, it's not an ECU problem. You can physically remove the ECU from the car and the engine will still crank happily all day long. The engine won't run obviously, but it won't have any problems cranking whatsoever. So if it's not cranking, the ECU has nothing to do with it.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:40 PM
ahhhh

split has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond repute

It may sound crazy, but have you tried taking a piece of wire directly from the battery to the starter? Are you sure you hear the relay? If memory serves me correctly it is behind the dash, and you have to get to it from the side, with the drivers door open. I think I still have a spare in my tool box. Do you have fuel pressure?

Quick Reply: Civic won't crank