Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Civic overheating

Old 11-20-2015, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a_sunken_sh1t a_sunken_sh1t a_sunken_sh1t
Default Civic overheating

1997 Honda Civic has a blown head gasket. Engine is a d series, pretty sure it's a 1.5. How easy is it to replace with just two people? I know a thing or two but I'm no certified mechanic. This car needs to last until tax season and is daily driven from Ashland to Midlothian. Would it be possible for two guys to replace in one weekend (maybe with the help of Google)? Also, would there be any benefit of replacing the entire head with one from either the same engine or a different one? The head would be free regardless, the only thing bought would be the new gasket I guess. Thanks for any input btw sorry for such a long post, I'm tired and tipsy lol
Old 11-22-2015, 04:53 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch
Default Re: Civic overheating

a head gasket is a one man job, and should cost you less than $300 including machine work, the only thing you really need to be concerned with is making sure the timing is correct before you start it because it is an interference motor
Old 11-24-2015, 11:19 PM
Registered member

type-r coup type-r coup type-r coup type-r coup type-r coup type-r coup type-r coup type-r coup type-r coup type-r coup type-r coup
Default Re: Civic overheating

Yes 2 people can do it in a weekend. Really in about 4-5 hrs. I would say less than $300.
Oil n filter. $40
Antifreeze $15
Head resurface $40
Head gasket kit ab $100
Yes Google n you tube will answer any n all questions u may have