Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

civic high beam problems

Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11
Default civic high beam problems

hey guys, its time pass due for a state inspection and all of a sudden no high beam on my drivers side Its a 99 civic coupe with no daytime running lights. For some reason my drivers side high beam doesnt work anymore. Ive check all fuses related to headlights, the main one under the hood, and the 4 under the dash for low beams and high beams. All are perfect. I just replaced the headlight plug due to deteration on the original to no luck. And yes i did switch the bulbs from each headlight to make sure it wasnt the bulb. So both low beams work just fine but when turning on high beams only the passanger side works. And the same for when i flash them as well, only the passanger side works. I got my votage tester out and couldnt get a reading from the high beam wire for voltage what so ever. Im kinda lost now since there are no fuse issues and switching out the plugs didnt work either. was kinda curious as to what you guys think could of happened. Could it be that my switch for my headlights has gone bad and isnt turning on my high beam or is it something completely different? any help would be appreciated. THanks
Old 06-29-2010, 07:15 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Re: civic high beam problems

Take the bulb out of the socket. There will be 3 connectors. One is ground, other is low beam, another is high beam. Connect multimeter black to ground, other to each of the beams to test. Are they reading +12v when activated? From your description, am thinking you are not getting the +12v on the driver's side, only the passenger's side.

Check the wiring itself back to the relay. If there are no breaks, you may have to check the relay. Listen for a "click" when the high beams are activated. Might just be the relay or a connection to it.

Last edited by Computer_Nerd; 06-29-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It's going to be something simple because only one side is working. Both sides get power from the same circuit(s), so it's an obvious wiring or connector issue.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11 cmjw11

any idea where exactly this relay would be located at or arround?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

On your model, apparently there is no relay at all.

Try pulling fuses 4 and 5 for the high beams, swap them, and see if the other high beam goes out. If not, plug in your multitester into the fuse blade holes to measure. If it's measuring correctly, the fuses are good, and you're not getting the correct measurements at the bulb socket, there is a break in the wiring between the fuse block and bulb socket. Right now, am thinking it's the fuse-- either a poor connection, or blown fuse that wasn't visible.

Here's a diagram.