Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

civic axle question

Old 04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts
Default civic axle question

will a bad axle cause you to lose hp, i dynoed the other day and it went down almost 30hp with same exact set up, i realised i had a bad axle it started to click real bad just curious
Old 04-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Imbodiedchaos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: civic axle question

I am not too sure on this one. I haven't heard of this being something that would cause a lose in HP, it has nothing to do with the setup you are running. Then again, because when you are on the dyno your wheels are spinning, if you have a bad axle like you are making it seem you have, if probably isnt transferring all the power to the wheels. Therefore resulting in a "loss" in HP.

My Solution: Self-explanatory, replace the axle
My Advice: Replace both axles at the same time. If one went bad its only a matter of time before the other one follows
Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I'm not sure how an axle can possibly do that. Either it turns or it doesn't, and as long as it's turning it's transferring power to the wheels. You can't really have a loss of power from something that is turning the same speed as the transmission output, because you don't have a gear reduction or any way for the axle to slip at a different speed than the transmission. You can have a little bit of power consumed by friction when a CV or tripod joint is at an angle and is worn, but it's not going to be 30HP worth of power consumption. If it is, you're going to have a smoking hot axle because the only way to dissipate power through friction like that is through heat (30HP worth of heat in this case).

Assuming the engine isn't to blame, you may have something like a brake rotor dragging.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Registered member

00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts

thanks guys