Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Check engine light on-need help

Old 09-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snozepp147 has disabled reputation
Default Check engine light on-need help

on monday i went over to a friends house and installed my high flow cat. I had to take the oxygen sensor out of the old cat to take it off and put it in the new cat. everything hooked up all right and i drove home with no problems. The next morning i'm driving to school and my check engine light came on. so i went home after school and reset the ECU. That turned the light off. Today (2 days later) the check engine light came on again. Do you guys think it has something to do with the O2 sensor? i've taken it out before when putting in my cat-back but no problems. what should i do? will it hurt my car if the emmisions are bad? please help
Old 09-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Swampdonky has disabled reputation
Default Re: Check engine light on-need help

replace the 02 sensor or you can buy a chip that will over ride it, or u can purchase an MIL eliminator??? that is supposed to "trick" your ecu........have fun!
Old 09-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Swampdonky
replace the 02 sensor or you can buy a chip that will over ride it, or u can purchase an MIL eliminator??? that is supposed to "trick" your ecu........have fun!
arite..in the manual it says if the check engine light is on the emmisions could mess up my engine and to take it to the shop immediatly. if its the O2 sensor will that screw up my engine or should i just ignore it until i can get it fixed?
Old 09-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Swampdonky has disabled reputation

its up to you, but with a check engine light on your car will not run right...... im not sure hom much (if any) damage it will cause on your car
Old 09-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

a bad o2 sensor will not ruin your motor. however, an o2 sensor that is bad will cause the motor to run excessively rich and hurt gas mileage. that can also destroy a stock catalytic convertor...but yours is aftermarket so you dont have much to worry about there. those are basically hollow. the first thing you need to do is to pull the code and figure out if the o2 code is even what is being thrown and go from there.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

stein has disabled reputation

Have autozone check the code and see if it is 100% your sensor.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by stein
Have autozone check the code and see if it is 100% your sensor.
so i just go to autozone and say "i have a check engine light, i need you to check my code. i think its the O2 sensor" and they'll check it?

also can i drive around with the check engine light on to get to school and stuff before i take it to autozone?
Old 09-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

Originally Posted by snozepp147
so i just go to autozone and say "i have a check engine light, i need you to check my code. i think its the O2 sensor" and they'll check it?

also can i drive around with the check engine light on to get to school and stuff before i take it to autozone?
yeah you can drive your car. yeah, just go up there and say i have a 90-whatever year honda and it's throwing a check engine light and i was wondering if you could pull the code(s) for me. they have a scan tool that will pull the code(s) and then they will print you out a receipt saying what they are.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sk8rmike
yeah you can drive your car. yeah, just go up there and say i have a 90-whatever year honda and it's throwing a check engine light and i was wondering if you could pull the code(s) for me. they have a scan tool that will pull the code(s) and then they will print you out a receipt saying what they are.
ok, thanks. do you know if that cost anything?
Old 09-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

ok, i found some help. someone told me how to do this paperclip test to see why your check engine light is going off. it was code 67 which is malfunction in catalytic converter. how do i make the O2 sensor compatible with my new high flow cat?

anyone who has a high flow cat? could u help me out? thanks

Quick Reply: Check engine light on-need help