Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Changing Brake Calibers

Old 05-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95MustangGT has disabled reputation
Default Changing Brake Calibers

Yesterday we couldnt get my drivers rear caliber to open up while we were trying to change the brake, its completely trashed.

I've never done brake work before so i have no idea what im really talking about..also im new to Hondas.

It's a 99 Civic SI

Do i need any special machine like a "press" i think its called, to take the caliber off or to put it on? Any other help would be good..i know i didnt make this so detailed.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:55 AM
smuggling grapes

Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O
Default Re: Changing Brake Calibers

you just need some wrenches and some sockets/ratchets.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:04 AM
smuggling grapes

Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O Speed-O

you've been PMd
Old 05-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

civichatch1 has disabled reputation

what are you trying to open up
Old 05-05-2008, 11:18 AM
smuggling grapes

Originally Posted by civichatch1
what are you trying to open up
piston wouldn't compress.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Holy $h!t its gold

hybridhondaz is infamous around these partshybridhondaz is infamous around these partshybridhondaz is infamous around these partshybridhondaz is infamous around these partshybridhondaz is infamous around these partshybridhondaz is infamous around these partshybridhondaz is infamous around these partshybridhondaz is infamous around these partshybridhondaz is infamous around these partshybridhondaz is infamous around these partshybridhondaz is infamous around these parts

look like a cross or a big slit in it like a screwdriver supposed to go in it? if so you have to turn it to the right and "screw" it in use a pry bar or something with a big flat head tip should go right in.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:38 AM
smuggling grapes

Originally Posted by hybridhondaz
look like a cross or a big slit in it like a screwdriver supposed to go in it? if so you have to turn it to the right and "screw" it in use a pry bar or something with a big flat head tip should go right in.
thought hondas had regular pistons inthe calipers?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:42 AM
trial member 4-life

DAmn-ryte has disabled reputation

the front calipers are regular. the rears are the screw type. but if you need to change them its pretty straight forward. no special tools. just make sure to bleed them correctly
Old 05-05-2008, 11:46 AM
smuggling grapes

That's anothe problem he said he was having. After he bled the brakes, he had a solid pedal for one pump, then mush afterwards.

master cylinder?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:35 AM
Registered Member

parsons_04 is an unknown quantity at this point

take the wheel off. locate the bleed screw and open it. have a catch can or something. then take a straight screw driver and push it between the piston on the caliper and the inside brake pad. push the screw driver toward the cars engine. it should move the piston back far enough to make it loose. after it moves back a little tighten the bleed screw. then i think it is a 12mm wrench and make sure it is a 6 point boxed in side. put it on the holding bolts on the caliper. then remember lefty loosing, righty tighty. then use the palm of your hand and hit the wrench and it should break the rust loose. i put a rag around the end of the wrench and hit it. after that the caliper will be unbolted. get and c-clamp and open the bleed screw again and press the piston into the caliper. the rear you can go to an auto parts store and buy that little box that has all the nipples on it if its a rear disc car. open the bleeder screw and turn it in.

Quick Reply: Changing Brake Calibers