Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Changed for conventional to full synthetic, dummy light problem

Old 07-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Taking the shot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these parts
Default Changed for conventional to full synthetic, dummy light problem

I just changed over from a conventional oil to Mobil 1's new High mileage Full Synthetic. Now I get the low oil dummy light all the time. I checked the dipstick and I've got the right amount in there as well as good oil pressure. I can't seem to find any leaks either so I'm assuming that the computer just isn't reading the oil level correctly because its a synthetic? I used a 10w-30 and the car is a 96GT if that matters. This happened to anyone else?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:01 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Changed for conventional to full synthetic, dummy light problem

Oil level has nothing to do with what kind of oil it is. Most cars don't have the oil level switch hooked up to the computer either, it usually goes right to the dash. I'm guessing this is unrelated to the oil change; did this happen immediately after you changed the oil and started the engine?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Taking the shot

QwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Oil level has nothing to do with what kind of oil it is. Most cars don't have the oil level switch hooked up to the computer either, it usually goes right to the dash. I'm guessing this is unrelated to the oil change; did this happen immediately after you changed the oil and started the engine?
Yes, It turned on on initially turned on. Then on my way to work the light turned off and stayed off for about a day, then turned on again.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Switch might be loose, might be going bad, or might have a connector or wiring problem. Those are the obvious choices. Where is the switch in relation to the filter, etc.? Any chance something light have got knocked loose during the oil change?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Taking the shot

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Switch might be loose, might be going bad, or might have a connector or wiring problem. Those are the obvious choices. Where is the switch in relation to the filter, etc.? Any chance something light have got knocked loose during the oil change?
not 100% sure but anything is possiable, i'll check it out tonight and get back to you.