VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   CD player troubles. (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/cd-player-troubles-255425/)

BlackOnBlackGT 09-19-2008 05:43 PM

CD player troubles.

Okay so when I turn my car to the on position ( or accesories position), the cd player boots up and plays the cd, sound comes through all the speakers. 1out of every 10 times it may not and then I turn it off and on and it's fine.

When I START the car, it won't play anything through the speakers at all. Maybe 1 out of every 20 times it starts it plays music through the speakers, head unit always is powered up and shows that it is playing the CDs. Any ideas? It's an aftermarket pioneer head unit in a 99 civic.

JDM180SX 09-19-2008 07:08 PM

Re: CD player troubles.

did you use a wiring harness? go back and check all your connections.
are they factory speakers? sometimes if you have a bad speaker it wont let the rest come on. if speaker is grounding out cd player will still be powered up, but no sound.

DeFunk 09-19-2008 07:40 PM

Sounds like RFI/EFI to me. Did you happen to recently change something with your ignition (eg. distributor, coil, ignition wires, etc.) ?

JDM180SX 09-19-2008 07:46 PM

hmm, ive never heard of those problems effecting the radio or speakers.

DeFunk 09-19-2008 07:51 PM

It can especially affect MOSFET based head units, yes. However, I just noticed this line from the OP's post: "1out of every 10 times it may not and then I turn it off and on and it's fine." when the car is not running at all, so apparently a sporadic issue.

To the OP, is it only the CD player function/source that proves to be an issue? Or will playing the radio do the same as well?

DeFunk 09-19-2008 07:53 PM

Also, to the OP, are you using an amp between the head unit and speakers or are you using the head units built in amplifier?

aacjohnc 09-20-2008 05:31 AM

quick ?. did you swap out your door speakers at all or make any adjustments to them like remont them or anything ? if so i have seem this many and many time if the speakers are grounding out the the chasis + or - of the input then that will cause you to have no sound at all even if the cd player is on .just a posibility. i have aslo seen the cage to the cd player ground out to the chasis which will also cause no sound . try pulling the cd player out the dash and see if you get sound that way if you do then you know the cd player is grounding out where it is not suppose to .

BlackOnBlackGT 09-20-2008 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by stormtrooper (Post 4521369)
did you use a wiring harness? go back and check all your connections.
are they factory speakers? sometimes if you have a bad speaker it wont let the rest come on. if speaker is grounding out cd player will still be powered up, but no sound.

MA Audio speakers... I had to take out the driver side speaker because it blew... but the rest of the speakers place in ON or Accesories but not started, so I don't think it'd be that?

Originally Posted by DeFunk (Post 4521414)
Sounds like RFI/EFI to me. Did you happen to recently change something with your ignition (eg. distributor, coil, ignition wires, etc.) ?

No sir

Originally Posted by DeFunk (Post 4521436)
It can especially affect MOSFET based head units, yes. However, I just noticed this line from the OP's post: "1out of every 10 times it may not and then I turn it off and on and it's fine." when the car is not running at all, so apparently a sporadic issue.

To the OP, is it only the CD player function/source that proves to be an issue? Or will playing the radio do the same as well?

Radio yields the same results.

Originally Posted by DeFunk (Post 4521439)
Also, to the OP, are you using an amp between the head unit and speakers or are you using the head units built in amplifier?

No sir, I believe just the Head Units AMP, there are small boxes in the door panels for the speakers, but I don't think they are amps.

Originally Posted by aacjohnc (Post 4521849)
quick ?. did you swap out your door speakers at all or make any adjustments to them like remont them or anything ? if so i have seem this many and many time if the speakers are grounding out the the chasis + or - of the input then that will cause you to have no sound at all even if the cd player is on .just a posibility. i have aslo seen the cage to the cd player ground out to the chasis which will also cause no sound . try pulling the cd player out the dash and see if you get sound that way if you do then you know the cd player is grounding out where it is not suppose to .

I took one speaker out the other day it was making an awful sound and ended up blowing. I will check the Head Unit, it's justw eird it palys when it isn't staretd.