Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

catera help!

Old 07-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake
Default catera help!

So driving last night the car cut out on me. its an 01. had CEL's so i grabbed hte scanner and pulled them. there were 2, P0300 and P0340. the P0300 is multiple cylinder misfire and the P0340 is camshaft position sensor.

Picked up a new sensor and installed it then cleared out the codes. all she does is sits and cranks but won't turn over.
i assumed the misfire code was due to the sensor going out and throwing the ecu and everything out of loop.

any ideas here? this car is nothing but an electrical nightmare. last summer had to replace the crank position sensor and lots of other small electrical bs.

this is all on a 01 catera dd, completely stock.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: catera help!

So the old sensor was having problems, you replaced the sensor, and now the problems are worse? It sounds like the connector on the harness is likely damaged, probably one of the wires is broken where it meets the crimp pin. I'm guessing it's the same problem it was having before and it's now broken completely from the extra handling during the sensor replacement. So the original sensor might not actually be bad. That's my first thought at least, and it's fairly easy to check continuity with a multimeter.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Registered member

BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake

the issue before was teh crank position sensor. after installing the new sensor last summer the car never had another issue related to hesitation, cutting off, or anything else. car ran great (finally) for the last year and then last night it cut off while driving like it used to. this time i finally got a CEL for multiple misfires and the camshaft position sensor. replaced that n nothing.
these cars are notorious for both of these sensors taking a shit but i wouldn't think it'd go again in a year and then throw a CEL for another sensor.

anyhow picked up another crank sensor to see. after that i'll check out the wiring.
would i be able to just go to the wiring right at the ecu and use a voltmeter to check out and make sure connection is good the whole way and continuity within spec fro mthere?

thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You should check continuity from the sensor connector to the ECU, yes.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Registered member

pulled plug wire on each side n made sure everything is sparking.
all wiring looks good, still need to get an ohmeter to test.

any gm techs have any other ideas? i know these 3.0 v6 came in saabs n shit like that for a few yrs as well. so far replaced cam sensor, crank sensor, checked to make sure its getting fuel, checked to make sure its sparking. everything there is good.

timing belt is tight so i am doubting it jumped timing. i dunno n i'm stumped