Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Carbon Fiber Wrapping

Old 03-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Carbon Fiber Wrapping

Im looking for a place that can wrap my rear spoiler in carbon fiber. I had a place in Chesapeake quote me $300 from some pictures I sent them so I didnt have to drive all the way out there. Maybe I'm missing something but
that seems expensive to me. I understand there is a lot of work involved, so I am told, but $300 to just wrap something in carbon fiber seems steep. You can buy the Eclipse High spoiler for $300-$400 and that is full carbon
fiber, so that is where I get my reasoning behind $300 being steep.

Can anyone direct me towards some more companies in Va that can do wraps? I'm in Williamsburg,Va and I wouldn't mind traveling if the prices were a bit lower than $300.

I talked with Fabrik8 and he is unable to help me. So don't say Fabrik8 can do it lol.

What will be wrapped:

Old 03-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Carbon Fiber Wrapping

I'll give you a little insight as to the process, and why the price seems high.
If you make something (like a wing) for production, you make a set of molds for it. The parts are made in the molds, and usually the surface that you see is the surface that is against the mold. The part comes out of the mold, needs a minimum of surface prep (light polish), and is good to go. For an overlay, the carbon is wrapped over whatever the part is, and then wetted out with resin (or vacuum bagged). Either way, the surface that you're left with is far less than perfect (there is no mold surface), and usually needs to be built up with successive coats of resin and knocked flat by sanding. This is the only way to make a nice looking part. It's pretty much just a lot of tedious sanding, and it's mostly labor. This is why the price is high, it just takes a long time. This is also the reason I don't do overlays ("wrapping") because I like to make carbon parts, not do bodywork-type stuff. *I'm not saying anything bad against body people, I just stick to what I like.
Hiding the edges on an overlay is also very tricky sometimes, and if you're worried about cosmetics, you may have to paint parts of it to hide the seams.
As far as materials, carbon currently runs between $25 and $100 (or more) per linear yard depending on quality, weave, weight, etc., and good quality epoxy resin is roughly $75-$150/gallon. If you talked to feathercarbon, they use epoxy I believe, instead of the crappy polyester resin that most companies use to make carbon hoods and things with. Sounds like a good company, and they do good work.
So some of that quote is materials, some is labor, but it all adds up fast when doing an overlay. For your money, I would spend a little extra and get the full carbon spoiler. That wing you posted is not super simple because of the curve and center post, which really adds to the work involved. I'm not really a big fan of overlays myself, just because the carbon has absolutely no purpose at all besides cosmetics, and it adds weight. Carbon should be a replacement, not an addition.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-28-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Well back in the day when I was looking for a 97+ spoiler when I had my 95 I asked around about a full carbon fiber spoiler. No one had one available and kept trying to sell me a 97-99 GSX spoiler. Well that isnt what I wanted. Honestly I would love a full carbon fiber 97+ TSi spoiler, but I dont think companies would want to pay the cost of the mold for something that may be more expensive that what the average joe wants to pay.

Maybe I can get some company out there to make the mold and possibly get the ball rolling with a minimum purchase from "X" number of people. Recently the rear hatches have been available for our cars... I dont see why they would make a hatch and not a spoiler.

Thanks for the insight and the porcess Fabrik8.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:30 PM
٩███۶ wilrep 4 a leg

ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ

off topic but just curious- where do you buy carbon fiber?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

At a composites distributor. There is a huge shortage of carbon right now, prices are high, and many distributors don't have any stock in house of the common fabrics. Blame the oil problems and the huge amount of new carbon consumption.