Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Car will not start D16A6 Help!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:12 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec
Default Car will not start D16A6 Help!!!!!!

Hey guys we just reinstalled our head we had it gasket matched and refreshed along with Skunk2's IM and TB. After rechecking valve clearence (.007 I and E) we atempted to start the car. It statrted but was out of time as we were a tooth off on the cam (timing was just outside the marks). We moved it to what we thought was correct and started the engine again it was worse. We thought maybey we went the wrong direction so we went back 2 teeth on the cam gear in the other direction. Engine started ran rough for about 10 sec and shut off and would not refire. We then took the valve cover off and timing belt off reset the block and head to TDS then rerouted the timing belt and tried to start it again. It acts as if there is no fire. Timing light showes center of the 2 marks on the crank pully. Pull the plugs they are soaked. Change plugs check distributor and coil even hook up a plug and groud it to the valve cover bolts to make sure that we had spark. Now we are scratching our head because now if we try to start the car after about 7-8 sec it will backfire really loud then goes back to acing like it has no fire.

Any ideas????? I'm at a total loss of ideas.

Thanx for any help.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:59 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Re: Car will not start D16A6 Help!!!!!!

I know you said you re-checked it but it sounds like the timing is still off.

Is the cam-gear 'degreed'? Are you sure the marks are correct?

Have you tried a different ECU? Resistor box plugged in?

Thermostat ground connected? And lastly, if everything else checks out, I'd borrow a distributer.

(I was about to ask you why the clearances were the same for the i/e but I forgot it was a single-cam )
Old 07-20-2008, 07:47 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Originally Posted by Jarrod
I know you said you re-checked it but it sounds like the timing is still off.

Is the cam-gear 'degreed'? Are you sure the marks are correct?

Have you tried a different ECU? Resistor box plugged in?

Thermostat ground connected? And lastly, if everything else checks out, I'd borrow a distributer.

(I was about to ask you why the clearances were the same for the i/e but I forgot it was a single-cam )
We have the stock cam gear on the car and its marked "up" so no go there.

I have tried 2 different ECUs in the last 1/2 hour and no go there.

We did not unlpug the resistor box but Ill check.

Where would the thermostat ground be? If its the little single pole plug under the distributer then yes.

And if all else fails I'll be begging to borrow a distributor as well

Thanx for the reply
Old 07-21-2008, 08:08 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Ok. I forsee it being something silly.

Have you checked to make sure the injectors are wired up correctly? And the firing order is right on the distribtor?

I had mine backwards and it backfired and all that.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt

yo... i had the same problem with my d16z5 (basically the edm a6)

forget the up arrows on the cams... there should be lines on opposite sides of each cam... make sure those make a flat line parallel to the ground...

there's also a timing mark on the crank, and from the looks of it... you haven't checked to see if that was liens up before you did the cams...

the timing mark on the crank requires you to remove the crank pulley to check... its 2 arrows that should meet one another...

good luck!
Old 07-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yep, timing marks should point away from each other and (obviously) make a horizontal line.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Full Access Member

egsir egsir egsir egsir egsir egsir

did you rev the motor when you timed it 2 teeth back? you might have bent a vaule
Old 07-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Bent a what?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you are setting the crank at TDC and not the 3 timing marks. Also the arrow on the cam gear should face up an the dashed are supposed to be parallel with the top of the head, not with the ground.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:31 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

Originally Posted by vbspec
Hey guys we just reinstalled our head we had it gasket matched and refreshed along with Skunk2's IM and TB. After rechecking valve clearence (.007 I and E) we atempted to start the car. It statrted but was out of time as we were a tooth off on the cam (timing was just outside the marks). We moved it to what we thought was correct and started the engine again it was worse. We thought maybey we went the wrong direction so we went back 2 teeth on the cam gear in the other direction. Engine started ran rough for about 10 sec and shut off and would not refire. We then took the valve cover off and timing belt off reset the block and head to TDS then rerouted the timing belt and tried to start it again. It acts as if there is no fire. Timing light showes center of the 2 marks on the crank pully. Pull the plugs they are soaked. Change plugs check distributor and coil even hook up a plug and groud it to the valve cover bolts to make sure that we had spark. Now we are scratching our head because now if we try to start the car after about 7-8 sec it will backfire really loud then goes back to acing like it has no fire.

Any ideas????? I'm at a total loss of ideas.

Thanx for any help.
bring the car to me...ill fix it...for a small fee of course

Quick Reply: Car will not start D16A6 Help!!!!!!