Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

car rattles when i brake...

Old 12-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U GOOKY4U
Default car rattles when i brake...

so i have a 2000 honda civic ex cpe. Past couple days...car has been shaking really hard when i brake. When im driving like under 20mph and brake, i barely feel it...but when im like at 50 in traffic..i can feel it shaking through my steering wheel? Is this because my brake fluid may be low? or some other problem?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:33 PM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3
Default Re: car rattles when i brake...

Maybe it's because you posted in the wrong section?

Or maybe your rotors need to be turned. Possibly warped.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 PM
your mom has a SRT

White Thunder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by j4k3
Maybe it's because you posted in the wrong section?

Or maybe your rotors need to be turned. Possibly warped.

+1 its your rotors
Old 12-20-2007, 02:34 AM
Full-time New Guy

Scottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud of

I have the exact same problem with my Mustang right now. I'm clueless of what the problem is, although, since my shaking doesn't occur all the time, I'm going to get my wheels balanced and aligned. I got a whole new set of tires and put the wheels back on myself (long story) and never got another balance/alignment since. I'll let you know if that fixes my problem.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:42 AM
やくざに成りたい

atmdc has disabled reputation

i would say wheel bearings but they shouldnt fail that quickly. prolly the rotors
Old 12-20-2007, 04:06 AM
Registered Member

04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute

Shit shouldnt fail that quickly it depends on what you do I have a 04 350Z that I AutoX and I am already on my 3rd front right wheel bearing. The roads around here suck that also has a little something to do with it.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Registered member

Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo

brake rotors.

Take them off and bring them to a local brake or automotive repair shop to have them turned, they will tell you whether or not they can turn them or they are warped.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:52 AM
Registered Member

QUICKVIII has disabled reputation

99% ROTORS OR 1% TIRES. If you want to try something. switch your wheels from front to back, see if anything changed. If there is no change it's in the rotors. If you don't have performance rotors on your car, new rotors from Advanced auto parts or Autozone may be cheeper than turning the old ones. Also if they are turned, they will be a little thinner, leading to them warping sooner than before. But that is such a slight difference. Also if you pull the rotors, consider new pads, the original pads are worn into the shape of the face of the rotor, If you put new rotors on, the pads could give you trouble against the new rotors.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Formerly da_clipse

95vadsm has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by QUICKVIII
99% ROTORS OR 1% TIRES. If you want to try something. switch your wheels from front to back, see if anything changed. If there is no change it's in the rotors. If you don't have performance rotors on your car, new rotors from Advanced auto parts or Autozone may be cheeper than turning the old ones. Also if they are turned, they will be a little thinner, leading to them warping sooner than before. But that is such a slight difference. Also if you pull the rotors, consider new pads, the original pads are worn into the shape of the face of the rotor, If you put new rotors on, the pads could give you trouble against the new rotors.
+1 on what he said. If it were something with your tires it wouldn't only happen when you brake, it'd be more of a constant kinda vibration.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:38 PM
DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok

Originally Posted by Scottyk6
I have the exact same problem with my Mustang right now. I'm clueless of what the problem is, although, since my shaking doesn't occur all the time, I'm going to get my wheels balanced and aligned. I got a whole new set of tires and put the wheels back on myself (long story) and never got another balance/alignment since. I'll let you know if that fixes my problem.
If the shaking occurs during braking, the rotors are warped. Have them measured and resurfaced if possible - find a place with an on car lathe if possible, as it accounts for any runout of the hub and will machine the rotor truly flat.

If the shaking occurs any time you're at speed, it could be a tire balance issue or even a bad tire (belt seperating, odd wear pattern, etc.)

The alignment will not cause a shake unless it's retardedly bad - it'd probably be undrivable.

Quick Reply: car rattles when i brake...