Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Car passed inspection but then ball joint failed. Is mechanic liable?

Old 11-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ksm2962 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Car passed inspection but then ball joint failed. Is mechanic liable?

Originally Posted by Yardjass
It's a fucking control arm. It's two bolts, a replacement part, some PB blaster and a breaker bar. You have my eternal sympathy if you can't manage that.

Get a junkyard part and fix it. If you can't, get picov to do it. Shouldn't cost too much.
There's also an extremely large spring that needs to be compressed back into place. I don't have the tools necessary for such a task nor do I have any knowledge of doing a repair of this nature and would rather trust someone who has done it before. I'm not about to look up a video or tutorial or how-to and do it myself when I'm going to be hurling it down the highway at 60 mph. Not something I'd trust to do myself correctly. So no, its not JUST a fucking control arm.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Unregistered Member

Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis.
Default Re: Car passed inspection but then ball joint failed. Is mechanic liable?

one of the techs at work recently told that some guy came in for service (not sure what but was unrelated to ball joints) and as most dealers so a complimentary multi point VISUAL check was done. anyone who works at a dealer knows they dont look at shit because they dont get paid for it. 4 months later the dudes balljoint blew out and he sued the dealer and won 15 million.

this didnt happen where i work and i don't know the legitimacy of it, but hard to belief.

that said, you heard a sound, and didnt have it checked out. pay to fix it.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

ksm2962 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Travis.
one of the techs at work recently told that some guy came in for service (not sure what but was unrelated to ball joints) and as most dealers so a complimentary multi point VISUAL check was done. anyone who works at a dealer knows they dont look at shit because they dont get paid for it. 4 months later the dudes balljoint blew out and he sued the dealer and won 15 million.

this didnt happen where i work and i don't know the legitimacy of it, but hard to belief.

Yup, like I've been saying I'm going to pay for it and do realize it's pretty much my fault. Just wanted to make sure first as I don't know what an inspection really checks for and what I should/should have not been told.

Also, I'd never sue someone for 15 million for something like this. That would be ridiculous and would go against so many things I stand for. Especially since nobody got hurt and its been two months after the fact. That would be some bullshit.

Last edited by ksm2962; 11-23-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:59 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Your recent complaint can be solved by a spring compressor. You can rent them for free from autozone or similar. That being said, you sound like you shouldn't be attempting this and you're correct. Just get it fixed and keep on gettin on.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:26 PM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

tl;dr
Old 11-24-2013, 08:44 AM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

Originally Posted by ksm2962
Junk yard seems like a good idea.

So I guess a second question would be: If I went to a junk yard, got a new ball joint and got it repaired by a good mechanic, how much is that going to run me cost-wise? How much is too much if I get a quote from said mechanic?

You certainly are one dumb motherfucker. Any good mechanic worth his salt wouldn't replace any part, with a used one. Especially one from a junk yard. You are now taking a used, unknown condition CRITICAL suspension component, and want to use it. You might as well just not even replace the old one. If this mechanic did replace the ball joint with a used one, guess who is now responsible? Him. Even if you both agree that he is not at fault.

Pro tip: when you buy a new ball joint, spend a little bit more and get a grease-able one. Will help with the life of the ball joint, and keep it from squeaking.

And if you replace this at some dudes house, your gonna want to get it aligned.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:50 PM

99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Travis.

I am a dealer tech, and have been for about 13 years, i do look at every car i work on since this is my job, if you only do whats written down on the ticket and not bother attempting to sell other things then you are not going to make a whole lot of money thats my two cents on the matter, treat every car like your own so you don't give tech's a bad rap and i for one sure as hell do not want to be riding down the road beside a very unsafe car so i do my part and make sure everyone is safe with all the vehicles i work on and make good money in the process of it.