Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

car misses bad for 5 seconds then stops....

Old 08-27-2009, 06:29 AM
HighestTraderRating

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant*
Default car misses bad for 5 seconds then stops....

Hey everyone. Im having a problem with my '04 jetta turbo automatic. It has 114k miles on it and I've had the major maintenance taking care of. (Original owner)

Problem: I always start my car and let it some-what warm up and settle down to about 900rpms before I drive. The car starts up perfect 19 out of 20 times, once in awhile there's a tiny tiny miss at start up. The problem is that my car misses really bad for about 5 seconds as I either pull away in forward or reverse then clears up and drives normal in the mourning. Today though, my car missed like it normally does but twice as long (10 seconds)

Its been doing this for awhile but didn't concern me too much since it clears up quickly but after today im starting to get real nervous about it.

Few things I wanted you guys to know:

*I will admit I have driven my car down to fumes. I know its bad....

*haven't replaced my fuel filter in like almost 90000miles

*used cheap HESS 93 octane for a period of 6months/ haven't used it in about 6months

*I know a kid in a mk4 vr6 that drove his car out of gas and filed out his injectors and now he's constantly missing. I miss every mourning/after long period of time the car sits for 5 seconds then clears.

Any help/advice would be greatly appriciated.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:39 AM
EMF S2K

jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy
Default Re: car misses bad for 5 seconds then stops....

Honestly it sounds like you answered your own question. Change the filter and mybe borrow another set of injectors from someone and see if it helps.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

GlfDaddy has disabled reputation

My first suggestion to you would be to check the fuel pressure. make sure it is at the proper amount.If it is not i would suggest repalcing the fuel filter as you mentioned it has not been replaced and you ran on fumes and ran hess gas(which is shit right there, my car misses when i run it sometimes). If that is not the issues than i would do one of two things. #1- run a fuel service treatment through the injectors(the type uses a vacuum line to suck the cleaner through the intake manifold. and dont use any cheap stuff. it will burn up your car and cause other problems. we use the wynns automotive products or you can use a quality brand they sell at auto zone or advanced. (dont remember the name of it though).2#- Pull atleast two spark plugs out and check to see if they have been running lean or rich. black if they are rich or greyish white if it has been lean. Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:53 AM
HighestTraderRating

ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant*

Originally Posted by jeremy
Honestly it sounds like you answered your own question. Change the filter and mybe borrow another set of injectors from someone and see if it helps.
Yeah im not a total tard when it comes to cars. I stated what I knew and what I figure was the obvious before some1 post unnessesary info I already know.

Im just trying to get info that I may not know or thought of. Maybe some1 here has had this problem.

Also I spotted u on harbourview blvd. U live around there?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 AM
RiverCitySyn

brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini

I had that happen, had a bad gas cap AND purge valve. It idled all loopy-like and I kicked the gas and it woke up. Then it did it again. A few days later my CEL came on for the evap code and voila, problem solved.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

No check engine lights? If not, you've probably just picked up tank sediment when you ran it dry. I would doubt that you've clogged or otherwise damaged the injectors, but it's possible there is some residual air left in the system.

Think very carefully about the conditions when this is happening. Can you think of anything different on the days that it misses more or misses less, such as changes in temp, etc? There is a possibility that this is related to a sensor problem, like coolant temp, IAT, MAF or MAP.

Fix the known possibilities first, like that nice old fuel filter and any other things that are the the list of neglected maintenance.