Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

car hesitates when giving it throttle

Old 08-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ultra spikey has disabled reputation
Default car hesitates when giving it throttle

Help me diagnose my problem. Recently my car has been acting up. Here are some symptoms of my problem. I'll rev my car from idle till like 3k rpm, let go of the gas and rev it again, it'll hesitate before it starts to rev again. Also, while im driving, i'll shift around 3k and if I dont shift slow, I can feel the engine hesitate again.
The thing is, after the hesitation, the engine seems like it runs fine. It still pulls good up to 9psi. I just changed my plugs, cap and rotor, and oil. The car is untuned, running off of a chipped "NA" ecu(retarded timing from the dizzy to compensate for boost). I would like to say tuning is the problem, but my car has been running fine for a little over a year. Any other ideas???
Old 08-20-2005, 06:54 AM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of
Default Re: car hesitates when giving it throttle

Does it smoke at all Jon? Any smoking from the breather?
Old 08-20-2005, 07:01 AM
INTERNET PIMP

2.3Liter is on a distinguished road

is your boost SET at 9psi? Or is that as far as it will go?(if so boostleak test)
it hesitates for a second then goes on like it should? could be ignition related
Old 08-20-2005, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

I havnt checked the breather if it smokes or not, but since this has been going on(about a week now)my car has puffed some smoke from the exhaust two different times after starting the car. It'll smoke for a couple seconds then go away. I dont know if this is related to the hesitation.

My boost is set at 9psi.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:10 AM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

Ok, does the engine just hesitate or do you feel it stutter?
Old 08-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ZEROpsi
Ok, does the engine just hesitate or do you feel it stutter?
It doesnt stutter, it just hesitates. Takes like a second, then it goes.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Asshole Supreme

Have you compression tested it yet? If not, I would see how that turns out. YOu may have broken a ring land.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Eat me.

Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta

my car hesitates if the a/c is on, is your a/c on?

(no, i'm not being serious, well my car does hesitate when it's on, but i'm not seriously trying to diagnose this, ok i'm just going to stop ranting now and just say good luck with fixing it)
Old 08-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough

compression test it and see if you have a broken ring land or not. happened to me with my ls turbo setup.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If it's only been doing this a short time, I'd say it's probably a sensor going bad, or you've damaged your stock MAP sensor with too much pressure. They aren't made to withstand more than about 13 PSI without potential damage. It could be a throttle position sensor, coolant temp sensor, or intake air temp sensor also. Any of those could potentially make your car hesitate. Coolant temp sensor will make your idle a little funny though, so it's probably not that. It shouldn't be one of your rotation position sensors (CYP/TDC/CA) or you'd have a CEL most likely. Check the TPS and MAP sensors first.

Quick Reply: car hesitates when giving it throttle