Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Car cut off

Old 03-10-2008, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jayjay6888 has disabled reputation
Default Car cut off

i have a 1995 nissan pathfinder and have been having problems with my starter lately. on the way home i was going like 65-70 and i slowed down to turn into the neighborhood then stepped back on the gas then as soon i let up off of it died...

i thought it might be the alternator or battery because i was bumping my music and had the heat on low but i tried getting a jump..... nothing... but i did notice that when i try to start it my alarm tries to go of (factory alarm) and everything in my car shuts of, dome lights under dash lights everything but i get no clicking so i dont think its the battery any ideas would be great i am going to take the starter off in the morning and get it tested

Last edited by jayjay6888; 03-10-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:15 PM
hungry

Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben
Default Re: Car cut off

your distributer might be going bad
Old 03-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Think about what you're saying....
Why would you think that it's the starter if the car shut off while it was already running?
Why would you think it's the distributor if it won't turn over at all?

Check to see if one of your main grounds is loose. It isn't anything to do with the battery or the starter. If the battery was dead, a jump start would have started the car. If the engine doesn't turn over, it isn't the alternator, or the distributor.
The fact that your accessories are acting funny, and you don't hear any clicking tells me that it's probably a connection problem with the power or the ground. Your battery is probably getting charged just fine, but power isn't making it to the main or accessory fuse boxes, so the ECU, accessories, etc., aren't getting power. A loose (or corroded) main ground would have the same symptoms. THere is something getting in the way of current getting where it needs to go. When you try and start it, the current draw is making the voltage drop somewhere and resetting your alarm. This assumes that your battery is good, but again, a bad battery wouldn't have made your car shut of and not be able to be jump started.

Also, I don't know if your Pathfinder uses any similar parts as a Maxima, but I fixed a 95 (96?) Maxima about a year ago with similar problems. Radio was shutting on and off, dash lights, brake light, car stutters or shuts off at stop lights, etc.
There was a flat blade connector on the main battery cable, I think it was connecting the fuse box harness or something like that but I don't remember. It was under the hood, pretty close to the battery. The voltage drop across it with any sort of load (even a brake light) was huge, and making all of the accessories drop out. It was corroded and just needed a quick polish with some emery cloth. It took me about two hours to troubleshoot what was happening and where, and three minutes to fix it. Completely stupid design on Nissan's end, that's for sure, and I'm guessing that the Maxima probably wasn't the only car that they used that on. So check that first, and don't just eyeball how shiny it is and say it's fine. Check the voltage across it when you try to start it, etc.

Just for good measure, my WRX had ground problems since right after I bought it, the stock ground is on the back of the engine, under the intercooler. Road salt/water corroded the cable lug, and it wouldn't start, alarm went off, etc. Stranded me in Gloucester (ugh). I put a Wal-Mart battery cable in a different spot on the block, and it fired right up. I had a dealer replace the cable for free (warranty) and it fixed it for a week. Now the Wal Mart cable is back on it, and it's been there ever since.

There are other things that can go wrong, but the easy ones to check are power and ground. Grab a multimeter and get testing.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-10-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Ohhh Snap

madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez

hmm sounds to me like a loose battery terminal?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:37 PM
RagPhoto.net

99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough

definitely sounds like a ground.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:29 AM

jayjay6888 has disabled reputation

turns out it isnt anything electrical at all went out and tried to turn the crankshaft manually yesterday and couldnt even budge it (and im a big guy 6ft 320lbs) new it was coming the cars 14 yrs old... but on a lighter note going car shopping today just need something to hold me over for the next 3 yrs or so until i get out of college still dont know what i want but i dont want but i do know its not going to be car unless its a very big car