Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Car Been Sitting For 7 years... Dumped quart of oil at startup!!!!????

Old 02-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HoMEbReD has disabled reputation
Default Car Been Sitting For 7 years... Dumped quart of oil at startup!!!!????

1994 Nissan Sentra 5 Speed 1.6L

Car has been sitting for 7 years. Replaced fuel pump/lines/fuel/plugs/wires/cap/IACV/intake filter

Finally got her started up, at first didn't want to idle for very long then cleared up and idled fine, about 10 minutes into idling, it started sounding like a diesel in the head. I cut the car off and noticed a puddle of disgusting oil under timing cover side on the ground that is a bout a sq ft in size. I'm stumped just a little cause the oil light works but is not on at all while running, the head sounds like a diesel, bottom sounds smooth. I;m coming to believe that the person I got this from didn't change the oil even though every other fluid was changed.

-Do you think the oil pump main seal is bad, or maybe the oil pump itself is bad?
-That being said my oil pressure light is not reading any low oil pressure.
-could this fix be as easy as changing the oil to a thin weight and putting some seafoam in it as well to try and clear any gungy passageways?
-it doesn't leak the oil anymore as well either... maybe the seal was dried out at first?

Let me know what you guys think, I'm trying to stray away from pulling the oil pan if possible due to time
Old 02-22-2013, 05:10 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER
Default Re: Car Been Sitting For 7 years... Dumped quart of oil at startup!!!!????

the seal more than likely dried out. It is going to continue to leak, not that much but it til get worse over time.

add stop-leak to it if you want a cheap half-ass fix or replace the seals and gaskets. your call.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Default Re: Car Been Sitting For 7 years... Dumped quart of oil at startup!!!!????

You think the oil pump main seal or...?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

00_civic757 has disabled reputation

yea ur front main seal is most likely toast but first thing u need to do is pull the valve cover and oil pan to check for sluge because if that motor sat for 7 years with oil in it then god only knows what it looks like inside the motor. then if everythng looks ok then i would replace all gaskets/seals on the outside of the motor(valve cover,front/real main seals,oil pan,tube seals,etc) because all of thoes are probally hard as a rock . and as for the head noise its beacuse the has been no oil in the top half of that motor for 7 years so that head is bone fuckin dry. if u take off the valve cover pour some oil over the cam/lifters/valves/springs etc to lube them back up
Old 02-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Registered Member

when it first started up it was fine, though i did not check for the oil leak the motor sounded fine, then i went and got a bite to eat inside and came back out maybe 5 mins later still sounded fine then i cut it off and started it back up and it sounded like a diesel. I'm draining the oil as of right now, going to throw some seafoam and some thin cheap oil through it to hopefully clear out some of the sludge or whatever may be in there... Just really dont feel like pulling exhaust so maybe a few seafoam oil changes will lossen some stuff up
Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

checking out where the oil was coming from, none of the belts or anything are wet, it almost seems as if the oil filter may have been over tightened by previu=ous installer cause i been going at that bitch for ten minutes by hand and yeah mother fakie is not moving lol. guess im a pick up a filter wrench when i go get my oils etc.