Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Car audio people!.. quick question.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E36DJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car audio people!.. quick question.

Ok this might end up being a not-so-quick question, but still..

I'm figuring out a system for my M3, I'm set on Alpine products (oem on the car, really happy with it.. recently upgraded to a 9835 and was even more impressed.)
I know I want 2 10s, probably in a custom enclosure (want to keep as much space as I can in the trunk.)

My question is with the amp configuration and the wiring for the subs..
At first I was going to get 2 10" type-rs, and a single MRD-M501 digital amp (550 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms.) The speakers are rated at 300 watts RMS (1000 peak.) This would work, but the system would probably be a little under-powered.
Onlinecarstereo.com has a great deal on the MRD-M301 amps (350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms.) Would two of these amps be better than one of the MRD-M501s? I have no experience with dual amps on a mono system, is the response time the same?

Also, if I wanted a 2 ohm load on each amp, I would get the 4 ohm DVC 10s and wire the coils in series (for 2 ohm on each amp?)

BMWs are insulated/sound shielded like a bitch (some people have to take the rear deck speakers out to hear anything) even then they are silent outside the car.. so more power is probably better. Not to mention it would look badass.

Last edited by E36DJ; 11-26-2004 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:33 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Car audio people!.. quick question.

If you have DVC 4 ohm/coil subs, you want to wire the two coils in parallel for a 2 ohm load per sub. This is if you're getting a pair of the M301 amps.

If you get a single M501 amp, you should get single voice coil 4 ohm subs, and wire the two subs in parallel to present a 2 ohm load to the amp.

There is no difference performance-wise between doing a single amp system and a dual amp system. I'm not sure what you're saying about dual amps in a mono system, but if you have a mono output from your head unit, just split it to go feed both amps. They'll get the same signal, and just set both amp gains the same. I prefer to have more power than less, and keep the gains lower for better headroom and less distortion.

On a side note, if you're using two amps and two subs, I would recommend partitioning your sub box so that each sub is in it's own airspace.. This will help prevent any differences in power, gain adjustment, etc., from making the subs fight against each other in the same airspace. This is kind of trivial so I wouldn't worry about it if you're doing a complex fiberglass box, or anything non-symmetrical.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

I wish you lived down here so I could check out your 9835. I want to get one, but would like to "play" with it first. Do you have any complaints about it?
Old 11-27-2004, 10:57 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Find an Alpine dealer and play with one on the display wall..
Old 11-27-2004, 01:24 PM

E36DJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by greygti
I wish you lived down here so I could check out your 9835. I want to get one, but would like to "play" with it first. Do you have any complaints about it?
No complaints at all, except that the XM and Sirius tuners are only NOW coming out for the '04 head units which is complete BS in my opinion (since they shipped with the XM logo on them a year ago.) You also can't load custom graphics but that's all trivial.

You can use ipersonalize to set everything from EQ, crossover, bass-focus, time correction, welcome message, and speaker setup ON YOUR COMPUTER, burn the file, then upload it into the head unit (all can be set on the head unit also.) There are 512 color options, matches my factory lighting perfectly.. it has a beast amp (MOSFET v-drive 60x4.) Um, XM/Sirius ready/I-Pod/Ai-net ready.

Just get it.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:31 AM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Find an Alpine dealer and play with one on the display wall..
None of the local ones had a 9835....

Originally Posted by E36DJ
No complaints at all, except that the XM and Sirius tuners are only NOW coming out for the '04 head units which is complete BS in my opinion (since they shipped with the XM logo on them a year ago.) You also can't load custom graphics but that's all trivial.

You can use ipersonalize to set everything from EQ, crossover, bass-focus, time correction, welcome message, and speaker setup ON YOUR COMPUTER, burn the file, then upload it into the head unit (all can be set on the head unit also.) There are 512 color options, matches my factory lighting perfectly.. it has a beast amp (MOSFET v-drive 60x4.) Um, XM/Sirius ready/I-Pod/Ai-net ready.

Just get it.
Sounds great, I'll probably order it after my coilovers.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

calgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond repute

Discount auto sound doesnt have a 9835?? I coulda sworn they did. I had one a few months ago but sold it to Jason with the yellow type r. If you ever see him out ask him to see it, it's a badass deck, I was very happy with mine. Only got rid of it because we had a rediculous deal on the Pioneer AVICN1 at circuit city.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

I didn't relize Jason had one. I'll check it out this weekend.