Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Car Audio guys help me out

Old 02-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slocarinNOVA has disabled reputation
Arrow Car Audio guys help me out

Hey,
I'm kinda new to DragVA, but I try not to be a pain in the butt like some of the other newer guys...

I've got an Integra GSR and i'm thinking of installing a false-floor trunk enclosure (i heard that term from the guy at Tweeter) for my 2 12's and amp.
I'm trying to keep it simple, no glasswork or recessed neons (even tho i hear neon adds HP...) but i'm posting to ask for 3 things:

1) If you're knowlegable about such things, I'd really like advice on the best way to do such an install.

2) If you've got an install like this or have some pictures of one, I'd like to see them. (Either post them or PM me for an email address)

3) If you've got obsessive compulsive disorder (or even if u dont), and love to show up and build sub boxes in the back of other peoples cars for beer/respect and maybe even a little cash, PM me and we'll talk.

I'm in NOVA, so i'm always trying to keep my car from getting jacked...
Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-19-2005, 05:23 PM
live by the 4 B's

integr8ted has disabled reputation
Default Re: Car Audio guys help me out

if you were in richmond i could probably help you
Old 02-19-2005, 06:53 PM
wtb scoobie snacks

musicmaniac is on a distinguished road

i did one in my eclipse, in short terms i removed spare tire and removed the brackets. fiberglassed about 7 layers in the area. then used this glue they have so it will bond with whatever and i just used a cut piece of maple i think wood, it was the most dense stuff so it would be better for vibrations and i just put the subs and amp in and sealed around the wires. theres a guide on honta-tech and same guide on many sites on how to use fiberglass and tips etc
Old 02-20-2005, 08:57 AM
visuallyinklined.com

sebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the rough

this is my new floor i did for my 98 eclipse. however my subs will not be flush with the floor i have another box going on top of this currently being upholstered but i used the shitty cardboard trunk lining that came with my car as a template and used posterboard to make the one piece that the lining didn;t cover. i do not recomend maple or any wood other then MDF(this is what is used in all boxes you see at stereo shops.) if your car doesn;t come with a lining which most hatches should then get the poster board out and trial and error that bitch.
Attached Thumbnails Car Audio guys help me out-trunk.jpg  
Old 02-20-2005, 09:26 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

With a false floor install, you'll lose your spare tire obviously. If you were installing a single sub, you often don't have to raise the floor at all because the tire well often has enough airspace for a single driver. Because you want to install two subs, you'll need to raise the floor for more airspace. This is actually quite easy.

Cut strips of MDF the width that you want to raise the floor height, and lay them along the edges of your trunk floor, standing on edge. Where they ultimately will need to be placed depends on the airspace you need, etc.
Use hot glue or whatever to adhere them in place; don't worry about strength on this part. Make sure all the edges meet along the same plane, because this is what the new floor will be mounting to. Don't worry if the strips aren't all the way to the edge of the trunk, it doesn't matter and they'll be completely hidden anyway. Now you're ready for the stinky stuff.

You have two options:

1) Make a permanent sub box, that can be removed in the future but it will be pretty damn difficult. If you want to do this, you can skip quite a bit of the fiberglass thickness and bond right to the metal. Get a drill and a sanding disc or Scotchbright disc, and remove the paint where you're going to glass. The advantage of this method is that you will use the nice rigid metal of the trunk as part of your box. Glass a few layers in the tirewell and up onto the MDF strips to tie everything together, and you're done with that part.

2) Make a removeable sub box, which will be heavier overall but easier to take out if you need to. If you're doing this, you'll need a lot more layers of fiberglass, and you should put down aluminum foil, masking tape, paking tape, whatever to make a release surface. I'm a personal fan of masking tape, it's easy to remove, and I brush a layer of silicone caulk over it to seal it and make it release really easily. I can't tell you how many layers of fibeglass to apply, it all depends on the contour of the trunk and things like that (contours are self-reinforcing, flat areas are not). Glass up onto the strips of MDF, and you have a one piece box. Now for the top.

A good rule of thumb is to use the stock carpet as a template. Just make sure your carpet fits the way you want it, and check it first. All you need is a jigsaw to cut out a big piece of MDF for the top of the box, and you'll probably have to trim a little here and there to make it fit the way you want. It might also be necessary to make the top of the box two pieces depending on the car. For this reason, make the top of the box before you start fiberglassing, so you can change things if need be.
I usually like to figure out where the subs are going to go, and then reinforce the top of the box with strips of MDF glued/screwed on edge under the top. A nice big X works great usually, and again, it's going to be hidden. Cut the holes for the subs, test fit everything, and once you're satisfied, reach through the sub holes with a pencil, and trace where the top meets the sides. Use this to locate the screws and predrill.
Screw the top down to the sides with the help of your favorite sealant/adhesive. Add some carpet, paint, vinyl, whatever you want, and you're done.

Oh yeah, don't forget to drill a hole somewhere to pass the wires through to the amp..

I can't count on both hands and feet how many of these boxes I've done; they're a pain but kick ass when they're done. Don't forget the polyfil..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 02-20-2005 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

slocarinNOVA has disabled reputation

Thank you guys for all the replies!!
I'm wondering if there's neway to do it where i dont have to loose my spare tire, but thanks for all the suggestions/pics/how to's

-matt
Old 02-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Either you lose your trunk space or your spare tire, or both. If you had a single driver you could put the sub on one side of the trunk, or you might be able to put one sub on each side. You could put the amp on the back of the seat, on the trunk floor, in a false floor, there are all kinds of options..
If you want a false floor box, you'll lose the spare though, sorry..
Old 02-21-2005, 06:53 AM
visuallyinklined.com

sebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the rough

yeah i purposely wanted my spare to be available so my new floor was built just to clean up and flow nicely with the box that is going on the top piece of the three sections. my system will be able to be removed incase of a accident. it will take a lil bit of work though i will be keeping a set of tools available to uninstall amp and what not but it can be done. i do like the idea of flush mount subs it looks very cool but i travel alot so .
Old 02-21-2005, 06:58 AM
visuallyinklined.com

and my one sub requires 1.5 cubic feet after displacement and didn;t feel like raising the floor too high.