Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Can you use clearcoat in a can over powder coat? I want the gloss

Old 12-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grip hrd has disabled reputation
Default Can you use clearcoat in a can over powder coat? I want the gloss

Sorry I am not sure if this is place to post if not, moderators please assist!

First, I am unfamiliar with powder coating, but I bought a set of AP1's that were powder coated gunmetal grey. They look great but they were used auto crossing and the dirt and grime were backed into the wheels. At first I thought I was unable to get it off the paint because I could not scrub them off using stove top scrubber.

I went ahead and used some 1000-2000 grit and also 400 grit and wet sanded the wheels, It definitely help and clean out the dirt and grime but it became dull when dry and loss its sheer glossiness.

My question is, I want to bring that gloss back to life and I bought a few cans of "wheels/rims" dupicolor clear coat. After reading online I realized that it may not work because they weren't clear coated in the first place.

Should I wet sand them? with a finer grit, like 2500-3000? to get that fine gloss appeal or can I simply use clear coat?

Any advice would happily appreciated from the (novie or the expert) who is familiar with powder coating would help me a lot.

Thanks
Old 12-24-2013, 05:59 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass
Default Re: Can you use clearcoat in a can over powder coat? I want the gloss

Yes, go with the 3000 and then a polishing compound. 3m makes some good stuff, I forget what it is called. 1000 grit isn't enough. It won't be glossy just using that. Might work with just the 2000 and then some polishing compound.

Last edited by Yardjass; 12-24-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

grip hrd has disabled reputation
Default Re: Can you use clearcoat in a can over powder coat? I want the gloss

Thanks for the reply, after looking at them today, they do not look that bad actually. I was a little frantic when I made this thread. They wheels have little bit of scuffs here and there but alright...So I tried spraying the clear coat inside the barrel of one of the wheels, came out kind of rough and not smooth so I decided against it.

yep, I was also suggested to buff it out, I went ahead and polish them out using automotive paint polisher and then wax and left them as that.

And yeah, I will keep them the way they are since they are super clean and if i do anything to fix what's bothering me about them, I'll wet sand them using 3000 grit and work it until they start to brighten up.

Took me a few hours getting all the dirt and grime off the wheels, I don't want to mess with the anymore

Thanks happy holidays n' new years..cheers