Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Camshaft Broke Off

Old 03-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irubonrights has disabled reputation
Default Camshaft Broke Off

I was riding down the highway today at about 55mph, and I heard a pop. I pulled over and looked under the hood and it was a small fire, and my camshaft gear had broken off. Can anyone tell me why this could have happened? And How can I tell if my motor is shot before I throw money into a new Head or Camshaft? Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 01:49 AM
doesn't like 1911s

~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh
Default Re: Camshaft Broke Off

Originally Posted by Irubonrights
I was riding down the highway today at about 55mph, and I heard a pop. I pulled over and looked under the hood and it was a small fire, and my camshaft gear had broken off. Can anyone tell me why this could have happened? And How can I tell if my motor is shot before I throw money into a new Head or Camshaft? Thanks
What engine is it? How are we supposed to tell you anything if you don't give us any info?
Old 03-28-2011, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ~Josh
What engine is it? How are we supposed to tell you anything if you don't give us any info?
d15...sorry figured a motor was a motor
Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

A motor is electric.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:05 AM
Go cry to momma

Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness

You need to try to rotate the engine over with a socket and a breaker bar. Put a 19mm on the crank bolt and get at er. If it turns, you're not seized. If you're standin on the breaker bar, hang it up. Start pricing a replacement.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:11 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

And if a camshaft gear breaks off, how the fuck does a fire start?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:10 AM
Banned

UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn

Originally Posted by Nunyabidness
You need to try to rotate the engine over with a socket and a breaker bar. Put a 19mm on the crank bolt and get at er. If it turns, you're not seized. If you're standin on the breaker bar, hang it up. Start pricing a replacement.

This ^ but also that motor is a interference motor so your piston could have came up and slapped some valves and fucked it(for the most part). Either way it don't sound good for you.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:13 AM
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts

For some reason, I really want to see pics of this. Please show some. The only way I can think of for a fire to start would be because of the amount of heat that was produced when the cam shaft broke off. Kinda like when you bend a piece of plastic back and forth, it gets warm. The heat may have reacted with oil or some chemical in the engine compartment.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I'm guessing the cam seized. Whatever caused enough heat to make the cam seize is probably what caused the fire. Or, the head could have expanded/twisted enough to break the cam without seizing it. Either way, cams are pretty fragile.

Originally Posted by WALL-E
Well technically they can't start fires, but flame is conductive and as such will be reacting to magnetic fields - that's what magnetohydrodynamics is about. How strong the interaction will be is completely different question - but it looks to me like it is so weak that we are outside of the realm of practical applications.
Plasma, not flame. Flame doesn't care about magnetic fields. You can control and shape plasma with magnetism.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by The Guy
For some reason, I really want to see pics of this. Please show some. The only way I can think of for a fire to start would be because of the amount of heat that was produced when the cam shaft broke off. Kinda like when you bend a piece of plastic back and forth, it gets warm. The heat may have reacted with oil or some chemical in the engine compartment.

Not my motor but this what it basically looked like when i opened the hood . Didnt have time to pull out a camera and take pics as i said it was a small fire.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Broke Off