Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Cam position sensor on a 2004 Dodge Neon SXT?

Old 02-12-2007, 08:32 PM
wub wub wub wub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Cam position sensor on a 2004 Dodge Neon SXT?

Can anyone help me locate some information regarding the install of a cam position sensor on a 2004 Dodge Neon SXT? My girlfriends car threw a CEL last night and bucked a few times... I reset the power to the ECU by cutting power to the battery temporarily, and it went off for about 20 miles, then came back on and bucked one more time. I had the diagnostic scan done today at Advance Auto Parts and they said it shows the code for the cam position sensor.

So with that said, I went ahead and ordered the part, but I'm curious to see if it's something I should just pay $30-40 to have installed, or if it's something I can do quickly before work tomorrow morning after the part arrives. Is it time consuming?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I will need to make a decision and plan for the morning by 7:30AM
Old 02-13-2007, 02:41 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Cam position sensor on a 2004 Dodge Neon SXT?

its on the rear of the head, basically has four bolts that attach it to the head in line with the camshaft.

that being said....whats the code? and i hope to hell you didnt buy one of the GP sorensen piece of shit sensors they sell. or even better...Wells.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:17 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

and?
Old 02-18-2007, 11:27 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Sorry... It's fixed. I was pissed when I picked up the part from Advance Auto and it ended up being exactly what I was hoping it wasn't (after what you said).. The box was labeled "GP Sorensen" ...D'OH! lol

We had left her car at my buddys shop.. It started bucking, so I had Advance check it out on the diagnostics machine and they said it was the cam position sensor. He cleared the code, I ordered the part, and she drove it down the road to my buddys shop. I picked the part up the next morning, and he had it installed by that afternoon. After looking at the part, and reading on the net, I know I could have saved myself quite a bit of money and just done it myself... Oh well, I guess. The important part is that her car is fixed. He said it was a pain in the ass anyway because of the location of the sensor on the back of the motor. Have you done that particular install before Joey? PITA?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:53 AM
The Pro to call.

fuck no. takes about 20 minutes. pays .6.

and never, ever refer to advance as to having a "diagnostic machine" its a code reader, and half the time it doesnt pull all codes, just ones that will set a MIL. pending and history codes usually dont come up with their 59.95 code reader, and most of the time they are crucial to diagnosing the problem correctly.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:15 AM
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by fc735
fuck no. takes about 20 minutes. pays .6.

and never, ever refer to advance as to having a "diagnostic machine" its a code reader, and half the time it doesnt pull all codes, just ones that will set a MIL. pending and history codes usually dont come up with their 59.95 code reader, and most of the time they are crucial to diagnosing the problem correctly.
you know what I mean mother bitch.. lol

code reader. I apologize.