Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

calling all tuners.2 questions about brakin in period.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
murderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these parts
Default calling all tuners.2 questions about brakin in period.

iv recently completely rebuilt my bottom end new EVERYTHING.first question is will it be fine to start the car on the tune i have now,the only thing that i changed on the motor is sleeved block,lower comp. pistons stock b16 cams,wastegate,larger turbo an inline pro mani.computer was tuned on stock ls pistons,crower stage 2 all motor cams,ebay wastegate,57 trim turbo,no name ramhorn(junk).i will be using the same injectors to fire it up.second question that iv heard alot about how should i go about breaking it in do acouple heat cycles an change the oil..my thoughts..or start it cut it off an take it to the dyno..other ppls thoughts.just trying to make it last aslong as possible.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Home Wrecker

allmotorcrx has disabled reputation
Default Re: calling all tuners.2 questions about brakin in period.

fill motor with detergentless oil( you will need lots (500miles worth) so buy in bulk), warm motor up to operating temp varying rpm no higher than 3000rpm, change oil and filter, tow to dyno. you should definately invest in a magnetic drain plug if you dont have to help minimize ring and wall shavings from floating around. Change oil after tuning and every 100 miles for the first 500 after tuning, then use oil of your chioce.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

murderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these parts

thanks dude.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:21 PM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

A lot of engine brake and variation on break-in, then beat the piss out of it like it's a slut. Then dyno it. Wanna seat those rings. If anything sounds like you migh foul plugs. Just run coppers until the final tune. Don't seat staying under 3000 rpm. You need to seat those rings, so on and off throttle with engine break. If you baby it you'll more than likely see more inconsistant compression #'s.

Last edited by TongWoo; 04-14-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Home Wrecker

Originally Posted by TongWoo
A lot of engine brake and variation on break-in, then beat the piss out of it like it's a slut. Then dyno it. Wanna seat those rings. If anything sounds like you migh foul plugs. Just run coppers until the final tune. Don't seat staying under 3000 rpm. You need to seat those rings, so on and off throttle with engine break. If you baby it you'll more than likely see more inconsistant compression #'s.
DO NOT DO THIS ON YOUR TUNE YOU HAVE NOW, YOU RUN TO MANY RISK ie wash out.

Warm up the car varying rpm upto 3k rpm. Change oil and filter. Then tow to tuner and let him do the rest.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 PM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

Originally Posted by allmotorcrx
DO NOT DO THIS ON YOUR TUNE YOU HAVE NOW, YOU RUN TO MANY RISK ie wash out.

Warm up the car varying rpm upto 3k rpm. Change oil and filter. Then tow to tuner and let him do the rest.
Obviously stay out of heavy load/higher boost, but with good afr's he would be fine to break it in as long as he stays out of boost. Obviously he's not retarded as he's been through turbo and a build. I definitely agree with you on VARYING RPM. When I said beat the piss out of it like it's a slut, I was a bit overzealous. For that, I apologize. BUT... with good afrs, I still say varying rpms (no boost above say 5psi), and engine brake will set it up for the best ring seating as long as it was built correctly.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Home Wrecker

Do not beat the piss out of it until tuner sets afr. plan and simple. I told him exactly how to do it without the confusion.

Warm up the car varying rpm upto 3k rpm. Change oil and filter. Then tow to tuner and let him do the rest after afr is set!!!

Just Sayin
Old 04-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by allmotorcrx
Change oil after tuning and every 100 miles for the first 500 after tuning, then use oil of your chioce.

That's a huge waste of perfectly good oil. 500 miles is the common practice, not 100 miles.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

rayray24 has disabled reputation

1-Start it up do a heat cycle (change the oil)
2- Go get tuned......

800whp 3year old motor.....................
Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Home Wrecker

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That's a huge waste of perfectly good oil. 500 miles is the common practice, not 100 miles.
Hence why I said non detergent oil, its junk oil that cost 98 cents per quart at Walmart. Good for break in that's bout it.

Quick Reply: calling all tuners.2 questions about brakin in period.