Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Caliper Bracket too close to the new rotor...

Old 04-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Standartenführer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus
Default Caliper Bracket too close to the new rotor...

2008 Impala 3.5L, started as simple brake/bearing job. I replaced the lower control arms, wheel bearing, rotor, tie rod ends, and sway bar end links. Passenger side went without a hitch. Driver side started scraping the pad retaining clip on the rotor. So I opened it up and noticed that there is almost no clearance between the rotor and bracket on the inner side. The outerside has plenty of clearance, well I though maybe the new bearing is messed up.

Tried with a different brand of new bearing - still same result. Tried with old bearing, new rotor then old bearing/new bearing different new rotor, tried a new caliper bracket, new bracket bolts - same lack of clearance. Finally thought maybe the knucle ears are bent so got a new iron knuckle, new caliper bracket, new rotor, new bearing and still have no freaking clearance.

I am losing my mind here - never seen this before and I gotta be missing something. Has anyone run into this on any of their cars ?

Pics: https://goo.gl/photos/6aXpn9TRg4fszaK19
Old 04-22-2017, 12:25 PM
Standartenführer

euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus
Default Re: Caliper Bracket too close to the new rotor...

Spent 2 days trying every variation of new used parts, tried the parts from the other side and eliminated rotor and bracket as the source of bad fitment, bench fitted the entire assembly of old hub bearing, knuckle, new rotor and caliper bracket - low and behold the same clearance issue. But the old rotor was chewed up so did not show any signs of a problem until replaced.

So I invite a friend with 35 years of Master Mechanic experience - and neither of us could figure it out. Ended up cutting the knuckle and caliper bracket to shave off a few millimeters. The damn pads are still riding on the rotor but at least I am not cutting it. I hope no one EVER gets this crap to deal with.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:20 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

The impala has abs and non abs and the 3.5 and 3.9 I would bet the parts were boxed wrong
Old 04-22-2017, 03:45 PM
Standartenführer

I thought so too, tried both ABS and NON-ABS ones, this one is a non.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

HkArmy7 is infamous around these partsHkArmy7 is infamous around these partsHkArmy7 is infamous around these partsHkArmy7 is infamous around these partsHkArmy7 is infamous around these partsHkArmy7 is infamous around these partsHkArmy7 is infamous around these partsHkArmy7 is infamous around these partsHkArmy7 is infamous around these partsHkArmy7 is infamous around these partsHkArmy7 is infamous around these parts

Brake Pads is my guess.