Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

A/C issues, cool air on flow speed, hot air on high speed

Old 09-24-2010, 01:31 PM
nortaP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded
Default A/C issues, cool air on flow speed, hot air on high speed

I know a lot of things, but I know shit all about A/C diagnostics

I've never had issues with the A/C, it's been blowing ice cold all summer.

Today I flipped it to max air and nothing but hot air blasted out. Turning the fan down to 1 / 2 produced coolish, but not very cold air.

The mechanicals seem to be in good working order, clutch engages, fans turn on, the whole 9.

Vehicle is 10 years old and the A/C has never been serviced.

Is there some kind of test I can perform at home to determine coolant levels and the like?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:41 PM
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts
Default Re: A/C issues, cool air on flow speed, hot air on high speed

You can usually go to pep boys or advance auto and they have gauges to buy. Or Pep boys or another shop an do it for you. Actually, you can buy cans of 134 that have a built-in gauge. I'm assuming it is 134, right?
If the level is low, buy leak detector with a uv pen.
Edit: saw that its only ten years old. Of course it is 134.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:42 PM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Originally Posted by The Guy
You can usually go to pep boys or advance auto and they have gauges to buy. Or Pep boys or another shop an do it for you. Actually, you can buy cans of 134 that have a built-in gauge. I'm assuming it is 134, right?
I mean I figured i could put a gauge on this thing but the high or the low side and what sort of number am I looking for here?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 PM
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts

I believe its on the low side. Im not sure of the numbers. The gauge usually has the green youre good red youre dead markings.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:56 PM
DRINK BEER AND FIGHT

BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI

it tells you on the can which line to put it in
Old 09-24-2010, 02:07 PM
nortaP

I'm pretty sure i've tracked down my leak.

I have two rubber hoses, one is in perfect shape
The other is U shaped because they spanned a 4 inch gap with a 12 inch hose and had to put a kink in it.

It's riddled with large cracks along the backside of the hose where it's kinked. Who does this shit.